“But sexy doesn’t impress me. Smart impresses me, strength of character impresses me. But most of all, I am impressed by kindness. Kindness, I think, comes from learning hard lessons well, from falling and picking yourself up. It comes from surviving failure and loss. It implies an understanding of the human condition, forgives its many flaws and quirks. When I see that in someone, it fills me with admiration.” ― Lisa Unger
Does Donald Trump impresses you by his new re-election speech add?
What impresses you about a person?
Isn’t it bases on your values?
Is your values based on the Bible?
Is your values the same as God’s?
How well do you know your Bible?
Does it matter that my values is different than God’s?
16 “What are we going to do with these men?” they asked. “Everyone living in Jerusalem knows they have performed a notable sign, and we cannot deny it. 17 But to stop this thing from spreading any further among the people, we must warn them to speak no longer to anyone in this name.”18 Then they called them in again and commanded them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus. 19 But Peter and John replied, “Which is right in God’s eyes: to listen to you, or to him? You be the judges! 20 As for us, we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard.” – Acts 4:16-20 | NIV
40 His speech persuaded them. They called the apostles in and had them flogged. Then they ordered them not to speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go.41 The apostles left the Sanhedrin, rejoicing because they had been counted worthy of suffering disgrace for the Name. 42 Day after day, in the temple courts and from house to house, they never stopped teaching and proclaiming the good news that Jesus is the Messiah. – Acts 5:40-42 | NIV
1 And Saul approved of their killing him. On that day a great persecution broke out against the church in Jerusalem, and all except the apostles were scattered throughout Judea and Samaria. 2 Godly men buried Stephen and mourned deeply for him. 3 But Saul began to destroy the church. Going from house to house, he dragged off both men and women and put them in prison. 4 Those who had been scattered preached the word wherever they went. – Acts 8:1-4 | NIV
– So Hans what does all these scriptures have in common?
- Well Francois they all talk about young christians response to the gospel.
– Hans what impresses and convicts you about these early Christians?
- Francois they were more obedient to God than listen to the threats of the religeous world
- The gospel was overflowing out of their mouths.
- The apostles still preached the message while being verbally and physically being persecuted, they were exited and not depressed.
- Their ministry was daily, in the temple courts and from house to house.
- Wow the persecuted preached wherever they went, not being down on themselves.
– Sooo, Hans why do you think these young Christians were so committed to sharing the gospel with other people?
- They were convinced about God’s command to go and make disciples.
- They knew the will hit opposition and push through.
21 “Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death. 22 You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. 23 When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. Truly I tell you, you will not finish going through the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.24 “The student is not above the teacher, nor a servant above his master. 25 It is enough for students to be like their teachers, and servants like their masters. If the head of the house has been called Beelzebul, how much more the members of his household! – Matthew 10:21-25 | NIV
– Hans vwhy would you expect a negative reaction from some people as you share the message of Jesus?
- They do not want to repent.
- Francois, they don’t like you exposing their sin.
- They do not have faith to obey Jesus.
– How will you respond to those negative people Hans?
- I need to please God more than men.
- Love people unconditionally.
- See it as a sign of doing the right thing.
What are some practicals we can apply in our lives?
In the end what impressed me about the young disciples is their trust in God and His sovereignty. Them willing to suffer to preach the truth.
Prayer for today:
Morning Lord. In the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation. Lord the question is will I do what is right in your eyes of try to please people? Lord I am thinking would I rejoice in suffering for the name of Christ even to the point of physically being mistreated? Lord the further question would be if I am willing to die for the truth in the gospel? Lord will I be willing to unroot my life and flee to preach the gospel? Lord this is truly very convicting to think about what the first century Christians were willing to endure to follow you. Lord I pray that I will be willing to endure people hating me and be willing to face betrayal to death even by those closest to me. Lord I realize that I am truly brave if I live as a real christian! I pray that I will not be ashamed to live as a disciple but will boldly proclaim the gospel that saved me and will in turn save other people. Amen.
Tomorrow we will have a look at: “People don’t care how much you know, until they see how much you care.” How can you show some of the non-Christians around you that you really care for them?
Next Study – Mission – Part 4 of 8