“In any given moment we have two options: to step forward into growth or step back into safety” – Abraham Maslow
Are you the person who steps forward?
What is stopping you from stepping forward?
What do you need to overcome to step forward?
Is it a daily focus?
I like what John Maxwell said:
“You will never change your life untill you change something you do daily. The secret of your success, is found in your daily routine”.
Let’s have a look at what God says about growth.
26 He also said, “This is what the kingdom of God is like. A man scatters seed on the ground. 27 Night and day, whether he sleeps or gets up, the seed sprouts and grows, though he does not know how. 28 All by itself the soil produces grain—first the stalk, then the head, then the full kernel in the head. 29 As soon as the grain is ripe, he puts the sickle to it, because the harvest has come.” – Mark 4:26-29 | NIV
5 What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. 6 I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow. 7 So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. 8 The one who plants and the one who waters have one purpose, and they will each be rewarded according to their own labor. 9 For we are co-workers in God’s service; you are God’s field, God’s building. – 1 Corinthians 3:5-9 | NIV
– So Hans, what is our role in making disciples?
- Francois , we plant and water the seed. Or to put it in our words today, we share God’s word and help people to grow spiritually.
– What is God’s role?
- God makes the seed grow.
– Why can we never be prideful about the fact that we have been used to lead someone else to Christ Hans?
- Firstly we share God’s word with people, not ours.
- Francois secondly if they decide to obey God’s word, it is God’s words and the Holy Spirit that has been working in their lives to help them to change.
- In essence God is the message and I am only the messenger.
– If God is really the one who brings change to people’s hearts and lives, why would he want us to share in the work?
- While we share the gospel with people we ourselves get’s convicted about the message all over again and that keeps us close to God.
– How has it been going this week with using your opportunities to reach out to people?
- I think I need a consistent plan how I can work on my colleagues, clients, family and friends on a daily basis.
– Who can I reach out to next week?
- Some of my friends
Prayer for Today:
Morning God thank you for the new day. May I be outward focussed on my friends to help them be close to God. May I grow in my faith. I need to understand my job is to sow the seed and water it. God you are the one who makes things grow. Amen.
Tomorrow we will look at: Part II – Keys to making Disciples
Next Day – My Mission – Part 8 of 8 – Keys to making Disciples