“They hope to God the truth gets lost in the scrum!” Mary Mapes – Truth (Movie 2015) Quotes
“You have to make your case, you have to fight” a line in the movie Truth, with Cate Blanchett and Robert Redford. There is an enquiry in the movie if the president George W. Bush of the United States went AWOL when he was in the military. In it Mary Mapes (Cate Blanchett) make the statement: “You do not get to do this, they do not get to smack us just for asking questions!”, which is nowadays the norm when you bring truth to the world about public figures. So in essence people want to hide the real truth to appear truthful. Not that I know anything really about the truth as it was portrayed in this movie, although it is based on a true story.
We live in an era of people who spread lies (fake news) as if it is the truth because of the selfish gain they can get out of it. It is not about God and His truth anymore, rather a half truth with a financial gain. We all want to live eternally in heaven with God, but without conditions attached to it. In essence we want to be our own god in God’s world.
Let’s look at what God says Hans:
16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile. 17 For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed—a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.” – Rom 1:16-17
– Hans is anything hindering me from sharing the Word of God with my friends?
- Francois I might think; what might my friends say?
- They might think I am a religious freak.
- They might say I think I am better than them.
- I don’t have all their phone no’s.
- Maybe they will think I am not up to standard or think what I am about to share with them is inferior.
- I don’t have enough knowledge to share with my friends.
- What if they ask me a question I do not know the answer, I might look stupid.
Hans just remember, it is God’s Word that has the power to save us.
And so it was with me, brothers and sisters. When I came to you, I did not come with eloquence or human wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. 2 For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. 3 I came to you in weakness with great fear and trembling. 4 My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, 5 so that your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God’s power – 1 Cor 2:1-5
– So Hans what do you get from Paul’s attitude in sharing his faith?
- His message Francois did not come with eloquence and human wisdom. He did not try to be clever.
- His main message was Jesus and Him crucified.
- He wasn’t this bold guy, he came in weakness, great fear and trembling.
- His message was not with wise and persuasive words.
- His preaching was a demonstration of the Spirit’s power.
- The disciples faith did not rests on human wisdom but on God’s power Francois,
16 Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers – 1 Tim 4:16
– What are the two things necessary to save yourself and your hearers?
- Well, first Francois it is your life; which might be my daily habits and the things I do, there is no power in the things we tell people if we are not living the life we proclaim and my life needs to convince people that his Word is the truth.
- Second, is doctrine; is what I believe in the Bible, but not based just on a single verse, God’s Word convict people and I need to understand the elementary teachings about salvation and life in Christ.
You, however, must teach what is appropriate to sound doctrine – Tit 2:1
– What is sound doctrine and how might you learn it?
- Well Francois, sound doctrine comes from the Bible.
- I need to study my Bible regularly to learn God’s word.
- Apply the Bible on a daily basis.
– What is the attitude of so many “religious“ people towards sound doctrine?
- Religious people rather wants to listen to their preacher than Gods word Francois.
- If their preacher says something different than the Bible says, the preacher must be right.
- They don’t confess their sins or struggles as the bible commands to have a clear conscience.
– Why is it important Hans to learn exactly what God has commanded?
- If say you’re a mechanic Francois and you don’t fix the car according to the manual it does not work and it does not matter how sincere you are in your actions.
- If you don’t obey as the Bible says you’re not a christian.
He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it – Tit 1:9
– What will we be able to do by holding to sound doctrine?
- You can encourage others by it.
- You can refute false doctrine.
3 If anyone teaches otherwise and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, 4 they are conceited and understand nothing. They have an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions 5 and constant friction between people of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth and who think that godliness is a means to financial gain – 1 Tim 6:3-5
– What is the connection between false teaching and a bad heart or a bad attitude?
- It is almost as if when people reject the truth they have a bad attitude towards you and just want to quarrel.
- They want to make it a personal thing instead of focussing on God.
- They will try to disprove you to justify their lack of knowledge / faith / conviction in the scriptures.
– Why is keeping a pure heart so important in understanding God’s Word?
- God will not reveal himself to you.
- You need to have a teachable / pure heart to grow in your faith.
Great study today Hans!!!
– Can you close us out in a prayer?
Dear Lord. Thank you that You Lord came to earth to show us truth and the way to spending eternity in heaven with You. Lord I don’t think Pilate wanted to know the truth otherwise he would ask you to tell him the truth. He was too scared of the real reality, of you being God and that he had to follow you. Lord I know although the gospel is simple, not complicated and Paul even shared it in weakness and much fear, it is the power of God for those who believe and is able to save you, bringing you to the knowledge of the truth. Lord first help me to know the truth first and then to live according to the truth. I do not want to live a lie that will make me serve you in vain. Help me to live as a disciple that you are proud of who correctly handles the word of truth. Amen
Tomorrow we will be looking at: The Powerful Word