A lighthouse is a tower, building, or other type of structure designed to emit light from a system of lamps and lenses and to serve as a navigational aid for maritime pilots at sea or on inland waterways – Wikipedia
A lighthouse is build on rocks due to the fact that it needs to be a permanent structure that shows the way for sailors to ensure that they are safe.
The lighthouse of Alexandria was the first on record to be build (280–247 BC) and was the highes structure for centuries.
Like an guardian angel the Lighthouse stands, sending out hope in the night. Like a faithful friend reaching out a hand bringing comfort, truth and light – Anonymous
So many metaphors in this quote, guardian angel, sending out hope, a faithful friend, reaching out a hand, brings comfort, truth and a light. Really beautiful! I would like to be that kind of lighthouse for people. What type of light are you eminating through your life?
Let’s see what God has to say about His words:
True and False Disciples
21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’ – Mat 7:21-23
– Hans who are the people that will be turned away here?
- Francois some people who will say Lord, Lord. That means they thought they had a relationship with God but in God’s books not.
- People who is religeous but do not do the will of God.
- People who might be doing religeous things like propesy in Jesus name, driving out demons and perform miracles will not make it to heaven might not be doing God’s will but their thought what God’s will might be.
The Wise and Foolish Builders
24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.” – Mat 7:24-27
– Hans what do you learn here in this scripture about people who will be turned away?
- If I do not put God’s word into practice I am a foolish man that builds my house on the sand.
- Interesting thing here is that both the wise and fool heard the same message.
- The similarities here; is Francois that the storm will test the integrity of the house.
- Francois the acid test here is will my house stand.
- The determining factor is will I put into practice what I learn in the Bible.
- I also think it starts with the motive that I read the Bible with; do I read the Bible for information or transformation? Meaning; do I ask myself every day what do I need to change because of what I read?
Hans let us look at another example in the Bible about building on the rock.
The Wise and Foolish Builders
46 “Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say? 47 As for everyone who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice, I will show you what they are like. 48 They are like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. 49 But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete.” – Luk 6:46-49
– Hans what does Luke say about the one who builds his house on the rock?
- Francois it makes sense to build a house on a proper foundation.
- This guy made an effort to dig down deep untill he found the rock to build the house foundations on.
- I think this guy knew how important it is that his house has good foundations.
- Francois I think the foundation metaphor that Jesus is using here is Him in the end. We need to build our houses on the example that Jesus set us to be right with God.
- What Jesus said in the beginning makes me think He was indignant. Why do you call me Lord, Lord (Him being their master) and do not do what He says. It is like calling your Boss, boss but you do not follow his instructions. You most probably will be fired very soon.
Hans having the right attitude towards God’s Word is crucial for future growth.
1 Blessed is the one
who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
or sit in the company of mockers,
2 but whose delight is in the law of the Lord,
and who meditates on his law day and night.
3 That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither—
whatever they do prospers – Psalm 1:1-3
Hans I think this is a good psalm to memorize.
– What is the advantages of being planted by the streams of water?
- It yields it’s fruit in season.
- The leafs does not wither.
- Wowwww, whatever you do prosper. It makes sense because God is working out the things in your life, He is the one that makes you prosper.
– Hans but how do I become like the tree planted by the water?.
- Francois I need to repent of obvious sin in my life. (v.1)
- Disassociate myself of people who pull me down spiritually. (v.1)
- Have an attitude of delighting in God’s law. I must just love reading my Bible. Like a plant that needs water daily, my Bible study must be daily. (v.2)
- Do I read my Bible or do I study my Bible. To meditate on the Bible I must study it. (v.2) It says here He does it day and night. So review your Bible study at night.
Great Hans. Can you just close us out in a prayer.
- Yes Francois I would love to.
- Dear Father.
- Thank you for being a masterbuilder that wants me to build my house on the rock that will be able to weather the storms.
- Lord I can remember going camping and our tent blew away and we had to sleep in the communal bathroom that night. It was not a very nice holiday that.
- Lord this is not a holiday, this is my life and for that matter of fact life eternal.
- Help me to have the right attitude about my Bible study. To be exited, to study it, to meditate on it and to do it daily.
- Lord help me to be that beacon of light in other peoples lives to enable them to come to you.
- Lord help me to have real faith by applying your word, otherwise I am just waisting my time fooling myself thinking that I server the Lord.
- Lord I know that I love you by obeying your Word.
- Please help me make it practical every day.
Tomorrow we will be looking at: Lavished on Us! – Grace