Coming together is a beginning,
staying together is progress
and working together is success – Henry Ford
Looking at the movie “United” based on a real story tragedy about the soccer (football) team “Manchester United” will always struck in our lives, but how we deal with it together determines if we will be successful in the future. The football team were all on a plane that crashed and quite a few of the players died. They had to “rebuild” the club that was on the brink of closing down.
Here are some inspirational quotes from the movie:
“How we are in the future, will be founded on how we behaved today”
“Don’t be another one who die out there” (but is still alive).
Just as they had to “rebuild” their club, we on a daily basis “rebuild” our lives for the good.
Let’s look a verse in the Bible that depicts this.
Verses for Today:
36 “Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Messiah.”
37 When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?”
38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit – Acts 2:36-38
20 The law was brought in so that the trespass might increase. But where sin increased, grace increased all the more, 21 so that, just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Dead to Sin, Alive in Christ
6 What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? 2 By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? 3 Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.
5 For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his. 6 For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with,[a] that we should no longer be slaves to sin— 7 because anyone who has died has been set free from sin – Romans 5:20-6:7
– Hans does baptism look like something that merits you salvation or is it the way God tells us to say “yes” to his grace wich we could never merit?
- Francois we cannot earn our salvation, that is the first point.
- Second I think it is a way for us to say “yes” to God’s grace in saving us for eternity.
– Write down what Romans 6 is saying happened to you in your baptism by the grace of God Hans?
- Francois I have died to sin and don’t have to live as a slave to it any longer.
- When I got baptized I was baptized into Jesus’ death.
- I was buried with Jesus through baptism into His death.
- Just as Jesus rose from the dead through the glory of the Father, God raises us up from our spiritual death to a new life in Christ.
– How does what happened (what God did) need to affect your attitude towards sin?
- Our sin is what caused God to send Jesus to die for our sin on the cross.
- As we know in our lives that sin hurt us and other people.
- We also know that sin seperates us first from God, and then people. It is as if we ostrasize ourselves from people.
- For example: If I know that hitting my wife is detrimental to our relationship. Would I continue to do it? Nooo. (not that I have ever hit my wife)
- Sin is like cancer in our bodies. Would you nurture your cancer so you could die quicker? I don’t think so.
- If we do not love our cancer, I say we should hate it with everything in us. It is like taking precautions against the corona virus. You wear masks, gloves, wash your hands, isolate yourself, etc.
- I am just thinking what precautions should I take to not sin today? Is there a scene on a movie that makes me struggle with lust? Chuck the movie.
- Is there dear friends of mine that is not interested to become Christians and that is dragging me through the mud? Then I must get new spiritual friends that would encourage me to be close to God.
– What is wrong with saying “let’s continue in sin so grace can abound”?
- Francois I think the Bible talks about if we deliberately keep on sinning we crusify Jesus all over again.
- We make out grace as a license to sin.
- The message say it like this: “So what do we do? Keep on sinning so God can keep on forgiving?”
- It is like our previous example of someone who hits his wife and go back every time and say sorry that he hit her. Would his wife think he is really sorry, if he continues to hit her? I don’t think so. How much more with God.
Wow that was an awesome convicting study Hans. Would you like to close us out with a prayer?
- It was, it was. Sure I will pray.
- Lord thank you for an awesome sunshine day.
- Sitting on my patio I can hear the birds chirping in the background.
- It is just so amaizing to walk around the neighbourhood and check out all the trees that you spoke into existence in one day. Wowww.
- Lord I pray that I will not use your grace as a license to sin.
- I pray that I may hate my sin and live for righteousness.
- Help me to see how my sin has hurt other people as well as you in my life.
- Lord I know if I truly love you I will make every effort not to hurt you any more.
Tomorrow we will be looking at: Saved for Good Works