Good works are the seals and proof of faith; for even as a letter must have a seal to strengthen the same, even so faith must have good works – Martin Luther
“Good Deeds” the movie depicts wealthy businessman Wesley Deeds (Tyler Perry) has done what’s expected of him and has settled into a predictable routine. His life begins to change, however, when he meets Lindsey Wakefield (Thandie Newton), a struggling single mother who has just been evicted. Wesley offers to help Lindsey get back on her feet and, though he’s already engaged, romantic sparks begin to fly. Suddenly, Wesley finds himself torn between what is expected of him and what he really wants – IMDb
“In life it is not about how much we get but what we share.” – Wesley Deeds
I think just as Mr. Deeds was moved when he saw the need we need to do the same not just physically but spiritually as well.
Let’s see in the Bible what should move our hearts in that direction:
2 As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, 2 in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. 3 All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath. 4 But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved.6 And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus,7 in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. 8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do – Eph 2:1-10
– Hans what do you learn in this scripture?
- When we are not yet Christians we are dead in my sins spiritually Francois.
- I followed satan when I was a non Christian and disobeyed God.
- We all lived as non Christians, gratifying the desires of the flesh.
- When you are a non Christian you are by nature a object of wrath due to your sin.
- Francois because of God’s mercy and love he saved us by His grace and made us alive with Christ.
- God raised us up from our spiritual death and seated us with Christ in the heavenly realms.
- In the centuries to follow God will show his incomparible graces through Jesus’ kindness.
- We hear the gospel Francois through the preaching of God’s men, the gift of God that evokes faith in us.
- We receive grace through our faith, by which we are saved not by our works.
- We were created to do good works by God and He prepared them for us to do.
– What is the purpose of grace? (v.10)
- Francois grace saves us.
- It is a outflow of God’s love and kindness.
- Through grace we receive God’s riches in the heavenly realms.
- Grace should lead us to do God’s works which He prepared for us.
– If a person does little or nothing as a disciple because “I am saved by grace anyway”, what are they missing?
- Francois I do not think he understands grace.
- He never really made a connection with God’s love and kindness understanding the riches of God’s grace in the heavenly realms.
- A life of good deeds follow someone who is grateful because he understands what God has done for Him.
– What good works Hans do you see that God’s grace has equipped you to do?
- Firstly Francois I think it is to have a great relationship with God.
- To love people like Jesus in a spiritual way to help them grow closer to God, that way making disciples.
- To encourage people and help them stay close to God throughout their lives.
– What specifically are you wanting to do today out of appreciation for being saved?
- Have a great Bible study and great prayer every day.
- Connect with the people God has put in my life to help them grow closer to God.
- Connect with some disciples today and build a friendship with them.
– If God has treated you with grace Hans, how are you going to treat other people who sin and make mistakes?
32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you – Eph 4:32
- Be patient with them.
- Pray for and with them.
- Help them find out what the cause of their sin is.
- See how we can strengthen them in their weakness.
Hans what an amazing journey God has taken us on with His grace. I will close us out in prayer today.
- Dear Lord
- Thank for this great day.
- Thank you for your grace you send us in your Son’s love and kindness dieing on the cross for our sin so we might be united with you.
- Lord thank you for blessing us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing.
- I do not really understand what that means but I know it must be awesome.
- God you literary raised us up from your wrath into your loving kindness.
- Thank you Lord that you already prepared the good works for us in advance to do, we just need to do them.
- God your mercy is truly amazing! I pray that I will appreciate it on a daily basis.
Tomorrow we will be looking at: Grace that Teaches