1. The Movie:
In the movie “Suicide the Ripple Effect” Kevin Hines, who at age 19 attempted to take his life by jumping from the Golden Gate Bridge, chronicles the impact of his suicide attempt on others and his work as a mental health advocate since that time.
2. Quotes from the Movie:
3. The Bible Scriptures:
This is quite and impactful movie! Kevin jumped from the bridge and survived. Afterwards he became an inspirational speaker. Well there is a big corelation between suicide and dying to self. The one is physical death and the other is dying spiritually to yourself.
– Ok Hans please read through the passage twice, underlining or making notes on what you believe are the key words and phrases.
- Who is Jesus?
- John the Baptist, Elijah & one of the prophets.
- God’s Messiah – Peter
- Jesus – Tell no one.
- Jesus – Suffer many things, rejected by religeous leaders, killed and rise on the 3rd day.
- Disciple = Deny self, take up cross and follow Jesus.
- Save my life = Lose it
- Loose my life = Save my life
- Gain the whole world = Loose self
- Ashamed of Jesus = Jesus will be ashamed of his
– Write an explanation for verses 23, 24 and 25.
- I must deny myself of my sinful nature.
- Taking up my cross means that dieing to my sin.
- If I want to do with my life what I want, I will loose it for eternity.
- If I do what Jesus calls me to do, I will save my life for eternity.
- What good is it that I am rich have all my needs taken care of, but loose my eternity with God.
– How do you expect these promises to work out in your life Hans?
- Well Francois if I give up everything for the kingdom I will receive many times in this life and eternal life.
- The kingdom becomes my family all over the world.
- You will have many brothers, sisters, parents and children in the kingdom of God who really care if you spend eternity with them.
These two passages will become very important as you share your life in Christ with others.
Remember this verse:
– Why is this true?
- It is true because I wil gain many more brother, sister, mothers, parents and children as we make disciples.
Remember Hans where they are and think about how you should share them with someone else.
Be sure to spend time in serious prayer each day.
You are God’s son or daughter and he wants you to talk with Him.
– It was a great study today Hans?
- Yes thanks Francois.
– Great Hans, will you close us out with prayer.
- Afternoon Father.
- Thanks you for the great day so far.
- You really have to be disciplined in this Lockdown to work from home Lord.
- Father we started with looking at why people commit suicide which is really sad.
- 800 000 People a year Lord, it breaks my heart that those people did not feel loved and cared for.
- It is like Kevin said: “If you see someone in pain, just say something”. God I think we can do better than that by sharing the gospel with them to give them an eternal hope not a fleeting one about their life on earth.
- God I must say your requirements for being a disciple is quite steep: deny myself, take up my cross and follow Jesus.
- Lord coming to think of it; repenting of sin is a blessing in my life because it draws me closer to you and gives me a clear conscience like we saw before. It also stop me from hurting me further and other people.
- Repentance brings healing to my relationship and help me to be close to you.
- Wow, Lord that was a mouthful.
- Oh yes, before I forget the promise to get many more brothers and sister is awesome.
One thought on “4.1. The Power of Dying – Dying to Self – Deep Convictions”
I guess it all depends on if God is your first love!