1. The Movie:
In the movie “The Passion” Jesus is portrayed by Jim Caviezel, depicts the final twelve hours in the life of Jesus of Nazareth, on the day of his crucifixion in Jerusalem.
2. Quotes from the Movie:
3. The Bible Scriptures:
This is quite and impactful movie! Kevin jumped from the bridge and survived. Afterwards he became an inspirational speaker. Well there is a big corelation between suicide and dying to self. The one is physical death and the other is dying spiritually to yourself.
Morning Hans, take a few moments to memorize this scripture.
– The word in Greek Hans in this verse actually means “I have been co-crusified with Christ.” How do we use the prefix “co”?
- Francois I think the definition of co- is used to form verbs or nouns that refer to people sharing things or doing things together
- So we share the crucifixion or doing it together. Intense!!!
– What is a “co-leader” or “co-worker”?
- A co-worker, meaning you work with them to achieve the goals of the company.
- The definition for “co-leader” is to share a lead with another person in a competition
Sooo, what is the message for Christians here Hans?
- It means that if I got baptized I partook spiritually in Jesus crusifixion.
- It also means Francois that I died to myself that day Jesus died on the cross. I no longer live but Christ lives in me.
– Among other things, the crucifixion of Jesus meant he voluntarily gave up his rights for the good of others Hans. What “rights” do you think you might have a tendency to hold on to?
- Well Francois if I died with Christ, I no longer live so the life I live I do what Jesus say.
- Not live my life the way I want it but how Jesus want me to live my life.
- You can’t tell me how to live my life, I am an independant. Reminds me of this song: “It’s my life” by Bon Jovi.
- I hold to a particular philosophical belief not necessarily the truth.
- I don’t have to read the Bible I know what it says. It don’t have to be noble in God’s eyes.
- I can go to church if I want to.
- I don’t have to be so serious about sin, there is grace.
- I don’t really have to make every effort to get to heaven, there is grace. God is not that serious about repentance.
– How do you need to give them up for others?
- I need to live to please God and not myself.
- I need to give up my goal in life to live a selfish money centered life to go and make disciples of all nations.
- I need to give up my philosophical belief for belief in applying the Bible to my life.
The crucifixion of Jesus meant he put others’ welfare above his comfort.
– Hans what was the result of his crucifixion?
- I got saved for eternity Francois.
- My sins got forgiven at baptism and I received the Holy Spirit.
- He fulfilled God’s will for His life here on earth.
– Hans what was the result of yours?
- Francois I would hope that a lot of people become disciples and go to heaven.
- I will be doing God’s will and not mine.
- It is only when the seed dies that it becomes a big crop.
– Why is this a description of the “crucified life”?
- I think the first question Francois I must ask myself is “what is the ultimate goal of my life”?
- Isn’t it eternity with God?
- Really what else matters more than eternity? A great job, a comfortable life, a great wife, a great house, kids that exel at life, lot’s of worldly possessions, etc.?
- So if I am right with God; and I am going to heaven, why would I not want that for my friends and family?
- Will it magically happen that they will become disciples and be baptized?
- Isn’t the definition of a disciple, to make disciples, according to Mat 28:19?
- If I say I follow Jesus and that is what my life is all about like for Jesus in Luk 19:10?
- Can I see it in my daily schedule? Would someone call me a disciple of what I do?
- Your deeds is only a reflection of where my heart is at.
– How are you making this part of your character Hans?
- Francois I know if something does not form part of my daily routine it is not important to me.
- Well I think what should form part of my spiritual daily routine is my bible study and prayer. Also sharing my faith on a daily basis. Confess sin that is in my life to keep my heart pure. Ask people to study the bible on a daily basis, because that is what I am all about, making disciples.
- Francois I am thinking if characteristics like love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfullness, gentleness and selfcontrol is part of my life because that is the fruit of the spirit is part of my life?
– Well Hans I did not think that co-crusified with Christ can go soooo deep?
- Yes Francois it was quite amazing.
– Great Hans, will you close us out with prayer.
- No problem.
- Morning Dad.
- Thanks you for a great morning so far.
- Starting a first day back at work after two months lockdown was really quite something else.
- It is really a mindshift to think that I died to my life and must honor God by living according to His will, not mine.
- Lord the problem is I have to start over every day.
- If I am not focussed on You and your word, being obedient to your will I will never make it to heaven.
- Like Jesus died on the cross physically, I have to die spiritually to my life on a daily basis.
- The question is, am I living out God’s will for my life being a disciple Lord?
- Help me to make You a priority of my life and it will be evident in my life that I am a disciple, like they call the Christians first at Antioch.
- God I gave up my righst the day I become a disciple.
- Help me that the results in my life reflect your heart for people in my life.