1. The Movie:
In the movie “Sixth Sense” with (Bruce Willis) Malcom Crowe is visited by an ex-patient named Vincent Grey (Donnie Wahlberg) one night who is not just angry, but enraged. He wounds Crowe, then kills himself. A few months later Crowe is visited by a 9-year old boy named Cole (Haley Joel Osment). He sees dead people who do not know they are dead. Because of this, he is called a freak in school. Crowe, at first thinks he is seeing things, but after spending a lot of time with Cole (much to his wife’s (Olivia Williams) dismay), he discovers Cole may be seeing dead people after all.
2. Quotes from the Movie:
This movie has a deeper meaning to me than just seeing dead people as Cole did. Do you see the dead spiritual people? Are you afraid not of them but for them? Would you rather be ignorant Hans and not let them know they are spiritually dead? Sometimes you feel it inside and you get a chilling feeling down the back of your neck or on your arms. How often do you see dead people spiritually? All the time? They really want you to do things for them spiritually! Do you feel the need to help them? You may ask what if they do not want my help or reject me Francois? How will you know for sure if they do not want help spiritually? Or do you have the same attitude as Bruce, how to make the spiritually dead leave their state of being spiritually dead? Are you working on it Hans? Only you and God knows, maybe some people knows it but is not telling you about your lack of being a disciple? Would you want to know and repent?
3. The Bible Scriptures:
Let’s see what the Bible has to say:
Jesus Predicts His Death
20 Now there were some Greeks among those who went up to worship at the festival. 21 They came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, with a request. “Sir,” they said, “we would like to see Jesus.” 22 Philip went to tell Andrew; Andrew and Philip in turn told Jesus.
23 Jesus replied, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. 24 Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. 25 Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life. 26 Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me – John 12:20-26
– Hans notice in v.23 that Jesus says the time has come for him to be “glorified”. What do you think of when you hear that someone is about to receive “glory”?
- Francois that someone will be lifted up and honored and exalted in the presence of people.
– In v.24 Hans Jesus most likely surprises his disciples. He indicates that he way he will find his glory is by becoming that seed that falls to the ground and dies. What does he say will be the impact of the seed that dies?
- Francois if the seed remains alive He will only remain single. If Jesus did not die on the cross I would not have a chance to be reunited with God.
- But as Jesus demonstrated by his life dying for me on the cross; I was enabled to become a disciple and many have been saved and will be saved through Jesus.
- The same way with me. If I die to myself and live as a disciple every day; the seeking lost get saved and I will make many disciples as Jesus said.
– How do you know Hans that this principle of being the seed that falls to the ground and dies applies to you who is disciple of Jesus?
- God says that I have been crusified with Christ and I no longer live but Christ lives in me – Gal 2:20.
- So just as Jesus died for our sins; we died with Him. We now live as Jesus would have as His disciples did. – 1 John 2:5-6.
– Particular notice in v.26 Hans, why is this an exciting principle?
- Jesus says that I will be, where I’m His servant will be; that means in heaven with God.
- God the Father will honor me if I serve Jesus.
- We bring glory to God by making disciples.
– In your life right now Hans, who do you need to “die” for so they can become a disciple?
- Francois I need to die for my neighbours, including my family, friends and strangers.
- To what end; so that they can become disciples and also go to heaven with me.
- Francois I really feel convicted, if I am not living as a disciple then I am not a disciple; because a disciple makes disciples – Mat 28:16-19.
– Great Hans, will you pray for us?
- I will be honered.
- Good morning Father.
- Lord may this seed die daily to produce many seeds.
- If I love my life in this world by doing what I will, I will loose it for eternity.
- The Bible is very convicting when it says I need to hate my life, I must ask myself every day will I hate my life today to love God?
- I know God the proof that I died is; that my life will produce many seeds, not just souls saved but sharing the gospel every day. I think Jesus share His faith daily and I follow Him if I am a disciple.
- Like John Maxwell said: “The secret of your success is determined by your daily agenda”.
- Lord help me to slot being a disciple daily into my schedule every day; even this holiday day!
- Lord I know if I serve you, You say that I must follow you.
- If I serve you, you will honour me before the Father, Jesus.
- God I do know that I glorify you by hating my life and living the life Jesus called me to being a disciple every day.
- Lord I know the day I got baptized I died and my life is now hidden in Christ and I no longer live a worldly life but a spiritual one.
- Lord I know that if I serve you I will live with you for eternity.