“The glue that holds all relationships together – including the relationship between the leader and the led is trust, and trust is based on integrity.”
1. The Movie:
In the movie “The Lion King” with (Beyonce) Nala, (James Earl Jones) Mofasa and (Donald Glover) Simba a young lion prince is cast out of his pride by his cruel uncle, who claims he killed his father. While the uncle rules with an iron paw, the prince grows up beyond the Savannah, living by a philosophy: No worries for the rest of your days. But when his past comes to haunt him, the young prince must decide his fate: Will he remain an outcast or face his demons and become what he needs to be?
2. Quotes from the Movie:
“Lives not fair, is it my little friend? While some are born to feast, others spend their life in the dark; begging for scraps.”
“Everything you see, exists together in a delicate balance.”
“While others search for what they can take, a true king searches for what he can give.”
“Run away Simba and never return.”
“You must take your place; in the circle of life.”
Hans we all remember “The Lion King” movie either as kids or watching it with your four year old. It is a story of a son and father relationship and how the world affects that relationship. While some are feasting others have to beg for scraps. There is a delicate balance in relationships and the glue that hold them together. Are you a giver or a taker? Do you build or do you break down? Some break down relationships and others build them up. In the end Hans, will you take responsibility in God’s circle of light / His church?
3. The Bible Scriptures:
Let’s see what the Bible has to say:
16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it – Mat 16:16-18
– Jesus Christ, who has all authority, taught us that the church is crucial in his plan. Jesus heard Peter confess to Him to be the Christ, the Son of God; and immediately Jesus said Hans , “Upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it”. Jesus saw the church as the centre of his plan. He wanted to build it and He intended to make it so strong that the forces of Satan could not stand against it. What Jesus counted as so important, we too must count as so important. What statement have you made or heard religeous people make that discount (lessen) the importance of the church?
- Some people doubt church membership if it is in the Bible Francois.
- Is the church there to primarily meet my needs?
- Is the pastor just after my money?
- Do I have to go every Sunday, why can’t I just sleep in?
- Francois I think people tend to follow the pastor instead of God.
- People do not really want to change and accept responsibility.
– What would Jesus say?
- If you build something with your own hands Francois it is pretty precious to you.
- Even more so if it is a house (church). You live in your house. Every day you see different corners of it; but it is where your family lives.
- It is most probably the place where you spend most of your time (where you can relax and be yourself), except for your work.
- Memories are build there, children are born, great family meals and parties are held there.
- He wants a spiritual minded family.
- He wants His church to grow; grown by sharing your faith about the truth Francois.
- He wants a unified church, without divisions about what the truth is.
- He wants a church at peace with itself and full of peacemakers.
40 With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, “Save yourselves from this corrupt generation.” 41 Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day. 42 They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. 43 Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. 44 All the believers were together and had everything in common.45 They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. 46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people.And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved – Acts 2:40-47
– Hans let’s look at the picture of what the church should be striving for to become every day. What impresses you the most?
- The first century church Francois was made up of people who made the decision to be saved from a corrupt generation.
- Those who was part of the church was baptized disciples.
- The disciples was devoted to:
- The Apostles teaching = New Testament
- Fellowship = Two fellows in a ship. Hanging out.
- Breaking of Bread = Communion and Visiting each others houses
- Prayer = Praying together as a group or two by two as Jesus would have sent them out.
- Everyone was filled with awe and not yawns. The definition of awe is: A feeling of reverential respect mixed with fear or wonder.
- It must have been awesome seeing the twelve apostles all do wonders and signs. Like a real magic show, wow.
- They were one big happy family with everything in common.
- They truly gave up everything to be disciples selling their possessions and goods to take care of the brothers and sisters need.
- They met every day. It is like having party with your best friends every day.
- They were glad and sincere. Having awesome parties in their homes but staying sober and righteous.
- The people saw what a great group they were; praising God.
- They grew daily in number being great disciples sharing their faith.
– What can you do today Hans and the rest of the week to contribute to this kind of life among God’s people (the church)?
- Francois I can have daily contact with my brothers and sisters.
- I can share my faith every day.
- I can set up some Bible studies with people to help them become disciples also have my brothers and sisters sit in on studies to encourage them and they can build friendships with my future brothers and sisters.
- I can have Zoom double dates with my brothers and sisters.
- I can encourage my brothers and sisters daily.
- I can share my quiet times with people to encourage them.
– Hans being part of a great church makes all the difference.
- Francois that is true. i would love to be part of a group like that; exited, unified, great friendships like the friends series on TV, paaaaartyyyy, grow daily, prayer parties, having all my needs met, etc. Truly and amazing family.
– A great study is always closed with a great prayer, will you pray for us?
- With pleasure Francois.
- Good morning Father (my Mofasa).
- Yes it is true Lord that life can be hard sometimes, but when we focus on you and heaven we know that living as disciples of You it is all the more worthwhile.
- May I be a kings kid that searches to give rather than take.
- Lord give me the strength to face live headon with it’s challenges and not run away from my responsibilities.
- Father each of us have our own role to play in the circle of life, help me to be the best you have planned for me.
- Your church o God is your master weapon to overcome the forces of darkness and build your family that will spend eternity with You.
- Lord give me each day the strength to build up your family and not to break it down.
- May I be generous in sharing the gospel of Your love with people so that they can become my brothers and sister and spend eternity with me.
- Lord give me the wisdom to build bridges and not chasms furthering peace and not division.
- Lord your plan for your family is truly magnificent!
- Your family will love us with Your love, willing to lay down their lives for it.
- Lord help me to lead myself in my life having a great relationship with you and with people.
Tomorrow we will be looking at: New Relationships