1. The Movie:
In the movie “The Patriot” starring Mel Gibson, Chris Cooper, Heath Ledger, and Jason Isaacs. enjamin Martin is a South Carolina planter who is still haunted by his notoriously brutal past as a soldier in the French and Indian War. When the American Revolution comes, he chooses not to fight for the Continental Army because he wants to protect his family. But when the British Colonel Tavington threatens their welfare and kills one of his sons, he chooses to enlist. Martin becomes the leader of a makeshift militia, which consists of peasants, slaves, a minister, and assorted other irregulars. During the war Martin and his men discover that they will pay a steep personal price for their rebellion. But thanks to their courage and bravery, they are also destined to pay a pivotal role in turning the tide against the Redcoats.
2. Quotes from the Movie:
The Patriot is about a family Hans, that just want to protect their family, friends and neighbours. Previously Mel Gibson was in the battle but he has become spiritually lukewarm by not being in the battle. Spiritually we want to protect and get our everyone to heaven where it is safe with God. They are forced into a war that they did not ask for, satan is out to destroy us and take us to hell with him. Hans are you fighting for your beliefs like this man does for the lives of his family? You can either be like the boy who is adventurous and out there fighting or like the dad that has been in a war and don’t want anything of it, we can become complacent and comfortable in our walk with God not being in the spirittual war trenches. If we not there fighting the enemy might take the lives of our family, friends and neighbours as it did for his son. Don’t throw around idle threats to satan he is not phased by it, remember we are in a spiritual war and there is spiritual casualties. Are you the spiritual man out there enlisting disciples for the war? We all had to start spiritually at the bottom not knowing anything about spiritual warfare, then we became disciples and then we led men into battle against the devil and his scemes. In peoples eyes who become disciples we are the hero’s, in God’s eyes we are legends. Before we are God’s church there was a fight to build it, are you a soldier for God that is fighting in the war or have you become complacent hiding away from the battle Hans?
3. The Bible Scriptures:
Hans as you read each of the following passages, write down something the passage teaches that must be in our relationship in the Body of Christ.
34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” – John 13:34-35
- Ok Francois so I must love like Jesus. I think to love like Jesus we have to pay the price every day not to be selfish.
- Does people know that I am a disciple by my love that I show towards them?
1 Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children 2 and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God – Eph 5:1-2
- I need to walk in the way of love.
- If I understand the way of love is to give up my time and my life to love people.
- I think it needs to go to the extent of Jesus to sacrifice, that is deep love.
- Francois I would not sacrifice myself if I do not truly love someone.
If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing – 1 Cor 13:1-3
- It seems like Francois, love is the first priority / trumphs over the following spiritual gifts:
- Speaking in tongues.
- The gift of prophesy.
- Fathom all mysteries.
- Fathom all knowledge.
- A mountain moving faith.
14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity – Col 3:14
- Love bind all these virtuous together in perfect unity:
- Bearing with each other.
- Forgiving each other any grievance against someone.
6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. 13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. 14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” – Gal 5:6,13,14
- Francois I am just thinking what really counts in my life?
- The only thing that counts for God is faith expressing itself through love. So in essence if I do not love I do not have faith.
- My freedom should be used to to server one another humbly in love, not to indulge in the flesh.
- For me to fulfill the entire law; I just need to love my neighbour as myself Francois.
8 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 9 Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling – 1 Pet 4:8-9
- To cover over peoples multiple sins I need to love people deeply.
- So love is the answer not revenge.
16 This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters – 1 Jn 3:16
– What does it mean to love another person? How does this apply to our relationships?
- Francois I need to lay down my life for my brothers and sisters.
- So, how generous am I with my life towards people.
- Encouraging them daily to love God.
- Spending time with them.
- Becoming weak with them so they can become strong again.
- Through your life set a good example that they can follow.
– What is so good and so right about loving like this? What are the results?
- It is eternal.
- Francois it pleases God.
- You have real friendships and not fake ones.
- You have real fellowship.
- It is the ultimate sign of love. We immitate Jesus by doing this.
- It is not just loving people in words but in actions and in truth.
- It shows that Gods love lives in us Francois.
- It is the difference between hate and love.
- We would literaly love someone to death, the full extent of someones life like Jesus did.
- Jesus abides in us and with us.
– Hans how can I surprise someone today with a special act of love?
- Share the gospel with them.
- Ask them how their relationship with God is.
- Francois ask them what can you pray for them.
- Do something for them that will make them feel special.
- Give them a call and encourage them.
- If it is your spouse organize a romantic date.
- Francois i know love is a verb. Love is not just idle words. My life will count for nothing except is I do not love God and people.
– Hans would you like to pray for us?
- Yeahhhh, bring it on!!!
- Father looking at this war it is gruesome and cruel. It is very vivid and real.
- Sometimes when I am not in the fight it is like the corona virus that started in China and we thought, ag jaa they have to deal with it but later it comes to our shores and it will catch us off guard if we are not prepared to face it.
- The question Lord am I aware of the battle and am I figting? Would I be know for my spiritual love not just my worldly love for people.
- Father it has been a long time since I have personally studied the Bible with people and can I really call myself a diciple?
- Help me to repent and imitate Jesus’ love to love people even to my own death. I ask myself Lord is my love that deep?
- Lord I do know that if I do not love people I am an irritating clanging symbol.
- Love binds all the virtues in perfect unity.
- I pray Lord that my faith will be real and express in love, serving one another in humility.
- Lord if I love it will cover over a multitude of my sins and other peoples.
- Give me the strenght Lord through your Holy Spirit to lay down my life to love people.