1. The Movie:
In the movie “50 First Dates” with Adam Sandler, Drew Barrymore, Rob Schneider, Sean Astin, Blake Clark, and Dan Aykroyd. Henry Roth is a veterinarian living in Hawaii who enjoys the company of vacationing women. He leaves the playboy life behind after he falls for Lucy, who suffers from short-term memory loss. Since she can never remember meeting him, Henry has to romance Lucy every single day and hope that she falls for him.
2. Quotes from the Movie:
Man the “50 First Dates” movie was funny Hans. To make a spiritual comparison we were all living the “dream” worldly life flerting with sin (girls) all the time. But then we met the girl (God) we wanted to get to know her better. But our lives as christians turned out to be a 50 First Dates scenario, we have to hook up with God every day of our lives and make it great which takes a lot of work. Sometimes we long for and want to return to our sinful lives that hurt us and we get entangled in sin once more. But if we really want the girl (God) it is a daily commitment if we are willing to make it and love her (God) with all of our hearts to be united with her for eternity.
3. The Bible Scriptures:
Let’s see what the Bible has to say:
– Hans, God is greatly concerned about the unity of the church. He is also greatly concerned about the purity of the Body of Christ. We are called to a holy life and a pure life, and sin in the Body that is being hidden or ignored will destroy the power of the church.
- That is true Francois, so much so in my own life. Hiding sin is like a one of the rooms in your house that is dark and earie.
Instructions for Christian Living
17 So I tell you this, and insist on it in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their thinking. 18 They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts. 19 Having lost all sensitivity, they have given themselves over to sensuality so as to indulge in every kind of impurity, and they are full of greed.
20 That, however, is not the way of life you learned 21 when you heard about Christ and were taught in him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus. 22 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
25 Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbor, for we are all members of one body. 26 “In your anger do not sin”[a]: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, 27 and do not give the devil a foothold. 28 Anyone who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with their own hands, that they may have something to share with those in need.
29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. 5 1 Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children 2 and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
3 But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God’s holy people. 4 Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. 5 For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person—such a person is an idolater—has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.[b] 6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God’s wrath comes on those who are disobedient. 7 Therefore do not be partners with them.
8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light 9 (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) 10 and find out what pleases the Lord. 11 Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 It is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. 13 But everything exposed by the light becomes visible—and everything that is illuminated becomes a light. 14 This is why it is said:
“Wake up, sleeper,
rise from the dead,
and Christ will shine on you.” – Eph 4:17 to 5:14
– List those things which are decribed here as improper for God’s holy people Hans?
- Well Francois first I must not live as worldly people does.
- I cannot afford to be ignorant about the truth.
- To loose all sensitivity and to give yourself over to sensuality ito impurity and greed.
- I need to put off my old self with it’s deceitful desires.
- I must put off falsehood and speak truthfully, in short stop lying.
- I should not sin when I am angry Francois, also not go to bed still angry.
- Do not steal any more but work to own a living.
- If any conversation is not upbuilding it is unwholesome talk otherwise we might grieve the Holy Spirit.
- Francois I need to get rid of:
- Bitterness – When treated unfairly having anger and disappointment.
- Anger and rage – Rage is normally an uncontrollable anger.
- Brawling – Rough and noisy fights or quarrels.
- Slander – Talking behind someones back to give him a bad reputation.
- Malice – Wanting to harm someone.
- Sleeping around.
- Impurity – Polluting your body with smoking, drugs, etc. Lust that leads to masturbation. Watching R rated movies.
- Coveteousness Greed – Wrongly desiring of wealth or possessions, greedy. Not being thankful of what you have.
- Filthyness – Vile, vulgar, obscene, contemptibly offensive, disgustingly, etc.
- Foolish talk – Nonsense, rubbish, drivel, silly,
- Crude joking – Lacking taste, tact, or refinement; vulga.r
– How would living as “children of light” be totally different from those things you have just listed Hand? What is the basic difference?
- Well Francois, first I must walk as a Christian.That means living as a disciple; read my Bible, pray, confess my sin to my mentor and share my faith daily in short. I must seek first God’s kingdom (church) and His righteousness. I must live out the purpose God gave me on church to “seek and save what was lost”, immitating Jesus.
- To not be ignorant about the truth I must know the truth by doing daily Bible study not reading. I must know what God’s will is and live it out or I will be as those guys who said “Lord, Lord” but Jesus said he never knew them.
- We need to be taught Francois that we need to put off the old self and put on the new self created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
- I need to be truthful when I speak to my neighbour.
- If I am angry I should not sin and not go to sleep angry without resolving it.
- I need to do something useful that I may share with people who are in need.
- Words coming out of my mouth must be helpful for building others up according to their needs and benefit them.
- I need to be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other just as Jesus forgave me.
- As a dearly love child of God I need to walk in the way of love Francois.
- Amoungs us there need to be thanksgiving and not partner up with worldly people.
- I must live as a children of the light consisting of goodness, righteousness and truth.
- I need to find out what pleases the Lord and expose the darkness in my life so that it may become illuminated by light.
1 Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently. But watch yourselves, or you also may be tempted. 2 Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.
– Say you are a young Christian, but what should you do if you see brothers or sisters falling into some sin ? What are some principles here on how you should help others with their sin and how it should be done Hans?
- Francois being a conflict avoider this is going to be very hard for me, I hate confrontation.
- Well the first qualification here is if I live by the Spirit, meaning I am close to God.
- I should do it gently. I think my normal reaction is to put up my defenses. If I think about the story of Nathan and David, Nathan had to tell David a story first to help him understand how God would see things before he got convicted about his own sin, seeing that we are normally blinded by our sin.
- I think if you do it harshly someone might take you up as being critical. But if I should react that way anyway it means I am super prideful and arrogant and not willing to change.
- If I live by the Spirit I hopefully with be strong spriritually but still I need to watch myself not to be tempted.
- Falling into sin burden us and when we find out how we messed up Francois we might get down on ourselves and feel self pity or anger for that fact.
- Change is not easy and just as I need to be helped and encouraged so does other people.
- I think carrying each others burdens is to keep that person accountable before God because you have taken on some of your friends burden with you.
- Want to find out what Christ law is in the new covenant, this is it.
- So this is a command not a suggestion, you owe it to that person before Christ to help them to be close to God and to repent.
- Francois I must tell you that I haven’t studied out these scriptures in such detail my whole life, it took me a week to properly go trought them.
– Amen Hans I am glad that you were so thorough. Would you close us out with a prayer?
- Certainly. Moring Dad. Thank you so much for a new day.
- It is the middle of winter and a big storm from the Cape just passed us over and there was snow on the mountains that brings a lot of cold.
- Dad I appreciate that I can stay in a house, sleep in a warm bed with a warm blaket as well.
- I know there is people who sleep out there that does not have the priviledges I have. Help me to have compassion on the poor and see where I can help them in this Covid-19 pandemic.
- Lord see this trailer of 50 First Dates makes me realize to love you is a daily decision to do my best and be in love with you.
- Some days might go better than others, but that should not stop me from giving my whole heart.
- Sometimes I find myself not being focussed on the mission of making disciples or I get discouraged when people do not respond.
- Lord I have been taking the “Bolt” taxis lately because I am fixing up my car. I have been inviting these guys to our Bible discussion, some have come but no one has really become a disciple.
- Lord help me just to persevere and do my best every day living as a disciple.
- I often share Mat 6:25-33 with them focussing that they must seek Your kingdom first, but many are just religeous and even told me that they believe in God but do not live as disciples as You called each and every human on earth to be in Mat 28:18-20.
- Lord I do know this is where gentleness comes in to help people and stick with them to try to help them.
- Lord help me to live a prure life in Your sight.