1. The Movie:
In the movie “Groundhog Day” starring Bill Murray, Andie MacDowell, and Chris Elliott. Murray portrays Phil Connors, a cynical TV weatherman covering an annual Groundhog Day event in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, who becomes trapped in a time loop forcing him to relive February 2 repeatedly. The film also stars Stephen Tobolowsky, Brian Doyle-Murray, Marita Geraghty, Angela Paton, Rick Ducommun, Rick Overton, and Robin Duke.
Phil Connors is the arrogant and egotistical weatherman for local station WPBH-TV Pittsburgh. He has disdain for those with whom he works as well as for his viewers. But he has the most disdain for Groundhog Day held in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, which he is to cover for the fourth time in his career, this year with Rita and Larry, the station’s new producer and cameraman respectively. Phil wants to get in and out of Punxsutawney as quickly as possible, but a snowstorm forces the threesome to stay an extra night in town after the Groundhog Day festivities. When Phil awakens the next morning, he is experiencing what he thinks is déjà vu. In reality, he is experiencing that Groundhog Day in Punxsutawney all over again. The same happens the following day and the following. As Phil relives that same Groundhog Day over and over again, he goes through a myriad of highs and lows. But as he comes to the realization that Groundhog Day may be his fate for eternity, he also comes to other realizations, such as that his actions have no long term consequences, but that knowledge, especially as it relates to Rita, can be a powerful and dangerous thing. But he is given opportunity after opportunity to get the day “right”.
2. Quotes from the Movie:
– Hans this is a very funny but deep movie. I have watched it countless times. What intrigues me, is how he’s bad experience of the previous day can be improved in the next day to further is quest. He is quite a cynical, arrogant and egotistical guy that wants things to happen his way but then reality steps in. Don’t we feel every day is just another day, going round and round? He goes into overdrive depression mode and try to commit suicide in different ways and methods to escape his reality but cannot succeed. At last he comes to his senses and focus on enjoying life and not be selfish and just live for himself. This is like our lives on earth. We want to do what we want, but it does not always turn out the way we plan it. Then we get all self focussed and down on ourselves that we are a failure in our own eyes. We then want to end our lives unless we see there is a positive side to life. That is when we hopefully become disciples and live for God, having a positive spiritual impact on people.
3. The Bible Scriptures:
The last several days Hans you have studied ways to keep a pure heart. Now we want to turn specifically to the results or fruits of pure heartedness. Again, let’s consider what we learn from Psalms 32 and 51.
– There is a thankful, rejoicing, singing spirit.
– There is a great desire to share the joy of salvation and cleansing. Look back through these two Psalms and write down the verses that illustrate these points.
Let’s read some of those verse in the Bible again.
1 Blessed is the one
whose transgressions are forgiven,
whose sins are covered.
2 Blessed is the one
whose sin the Lord does not count against them
and in whose spirit is no deceit – Ps 32:1-2
5 Then I acknowledged my sin to you
and did not cover up my iniquity.
I said, “I will confess
my transgressions to the Lord.”
And you forgave
the guilt of my sin – Ps 32:5
10 Many are the woes of the wicked,
but the Lord’s unfailing love
surrounds the one who trusts in him.
11 Rejoice in the Lord and be glad, you righteous;
sing, all you who are upright in heart! – Ps 32:10-11
7 Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean;
wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
8 Let me hear joy and gladness;
let the bones you have crushed rejoice.
9 Hide your face from my sins
and blot out all my iniquity.
10 Create in me a pure heart, O God,
and renew a steadfast spirit within me – Ps 51:7-10
12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation
and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.
13 Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
so that sinners will turn back to you.
14 Deliver me from the guilt of bloodshed, O God,
you who are God my Savior,
and my tongue will sing of your righteousness.
15 Open my lips, Lord,
and my mouth will declare your praise –Ps 51:12-15
– Hans which of these results do you see most clearly in your own life?
- Francois a sense of forgiveness.
- Not to live in guilt.
- Having a feeling of walking with God.
- I love singing songs when I go for a walk.
- I am happy and peaceful.
- Well Francois God has created a pure heart in me, yes there is still temptations but less giving in to them.
- God has restored to me the joy of His salvation.
- To have a clear conscience.
– What is the problem when these fruits aren’t seen Hans?
- Francois it means first that you might not be right with the Lord. A true Christian demonstrate the fruits of the Spirit. There might not be obedience to God’s commands. (1 Jn 5:2-3)
- You might not be living a righteous life. (1 Jn 2:29)
- Well if you confess your sins to God and people, your conscience will be clear and you will not feel guilty any more. So yes, confession to God and people. Well if you did not confess, the possibility is big that you might not have the fruits.
- You do not have Godly sorrow that leads to repentance of habitual sin. (2 Cor 7:10) That means Francois that you still live a worldly life of sin, because if you lived a Godly life you will stop sinning. (1 Jn 5:18)
- You do not abide in Christ. If you do abide in the vine you will bear much fruit. (Jn 15:4-5)
- CS Lewis’ conclusion was that those who are conscious of heaven will be the most effective disciples of Jesus in this world.
– Ask someone Hans who is very close to you in the Kingdom, how they feel about your heart.
- You My wife: His heart is good. He has a great heart for the lost. He is loving. He is a good father. He is a good husband. He always tries to help.
- My one friend: Anyone who loves the kingdom longer and longer is special and I respect that a lot. He feels good about my heart doing a lot of positive. He appreciate my friendship. He thinks consistency is the most radical thing you can do. He just need to pray for discipline and stay focussed. He is doing well.
- My other friend: You are a great guy. A man who loves God and loves people. Generous. You have your flaws as we all do. That fact that you want to better yourself is awesome. Just do it for the right reason. God.
– What would my eulogy say Hans when I pass unto the next world? Or what do I want my eulogy to say when I pass onto the next world?
- Francois I am speechless!
- What would people say about me?
- I was very convicted about materialism when I listend to what Steve Jobs eulogy the other day.
– Mmh, yes Hans it is a powerful statement. Would you like to close us out with a prayer.
- Father watching Groundhog Day, so reminds me of my story of trying to make a success of my life.
- It has it ups and down but the one consistent factor in my life is, my family, my wife and You God.
- I pray to have a clear conscience every day, I know I do fail sometimes.
- Help me to identify the fruits of the Spirit in my life, if I do not have the fruits of the Spirit I will make a plan to be filled with your Spirit which we receive at baptism. (Acts 2:38)
- I know that I had to become a disciple (Mat 28:18-20), repent of my sin (Acts 2:38) and have faith (Col 2:11-12) in your power, ito what You do for me at baptims as prerequisites to get baptized.
- I know Lord you want me to live a wholehearted life devoted to You without guilt and regrets.
- Help me to humble myself and live according to your word.