Heart maintenance you need to eat healthy and get active, the same with being righteous you have to study God’s word, pray, fellowship and make disciples.
1. The Movie:
2. Quotes from the Movie:
– This Hans looks like a typical Holywood romantic movie, isn’t it. The guy go to the bar to hang out with his friends, then he sees this girl. This girl’s husband is away on business and things are not going so well in their marriage and they have some intimacy issues. They started to talk and have a few drinks. Then they go over to his place and before you know it they sleep together. Who is going to know, it was just a night of weakness. She could have gone to her Bible study group leaderess beforehand to discuss and get some help with their marriage. She is too ashamed of what happened and do not confess her sin. Then the girl falls pregnant and the baby is born. The husband suspects that something happened and he does a DNA test, just to find out it is not his kid. The couple get divorced but seeing that the couple had some more kids, they grow up without a father figure and turn to gangs on the street. They commit an armed robbery and one of them get shot. The mother is overwhelmed with guilt, thinking back things could have been different and she commits suicide leaving the other kid to go into a foster home. This kid get sexually abused by the foster home parents. When he grow up he becomes a homosexual that destroys his life. Now this is a fictional story but you can see what the effect of one innocent lonely night just going out for a drink can have. So the couple was not close to God and did not sort out their marriage issues; because they were too embarrased which led to their whole world being destroyed with their kids as well.
3. The Bible Scriptures:
After doing the study on the heart Hans, why would you say that our hearts need continual maintenance?
- Just like a car cannot run forever it needs a service every 15 000 kilometers, continual heart maintenance is essential for me to stay close to God Francois.
- If you do not apply heart maintenance you will start seeing the bad side effects thereof in your life.
- Later you life’s car’s engine make bigger and bigger noises until it cease.
Let’s read some verses in the Bible about that.
5 The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. 6 Some have departed from these and have turned to meaningless talk. 7 They want to be teachers of the law, but they do not know what they are talking about or what they so confidently affirm – 1 Tim 1:5-7
– What is implied in the phrase “wandered away from … a pure heart” Hans?
- The word “wandering” Francois means in the Cabridge Dictionary; “to walk around slowly in a relaxed way or without any clear purpose or direction“.
- A remember that story of the “boiling frog”. It is a fable describing a frog being slowly boiled alive. The premise is that if a frog is put suddenly into boiling water, will jump out, but if the frog is put in tepid water which is then brought to a boil slowly, it will not perceive the danger and will be cooked to death.
- Compromising of say your integrity Francois in regards to purity might mean; “to make a shameful or disreputable concession”.
– Describe how this process of wandering away from purity of heart Hans might happen in someone’s life? Give some steps that might be involved.
- An example might be you happen by watch a movie innocently with a sex scene in (you did not check the PG rating) and your curiosity makes you watch the whole scene.
- That might lead to struggling with lust and watching more stuff on the internet, which might lead to masturbation.
- If the previous process happens long enough you might be dissatisfied with you wife and have sex with a prostitute.
- When the before said happen often your wife might “catch you in the act” and divorce you.
- Your family might reject you finding out what happened, which lead to you feeling lonely.
- If you feel lonely and guilty long enough Francois that might bring up suicide thoughts, which might lead to you committing suicide.
– What are things you can regularly do Hans to guard against this “wandering” in your own life?
- If we read the Bible verse, love comes from a pure heart, a good conscience and a sincere faith.
- These examples might lead you away from a pure heart: (2 Cor 7:1)
- The biggest is most probably what you watch on TV, movies mostly. I think it is safe to say that kids movies might be the answer or everything with a PG rating.
- Another avenue might be your devices; laptop or phone. Install software which block you to look at porn.
- Your friend that you spend most time with might make crude jokes about women and lower God’s perception of marriage in your eyes. Get spiritual friends that will encourage you to stay close to God.
- Romantic novels you read that might lead to sexual thoughts of lust; do not read them.
- If you look at women on the street lustfully. (Mat 5:28)
- Spiritual heart maintenance mostly mean you can confess your sin and temptations to look at impure things to a spiritual mentor who will keep things confidential.
– Well Hans reading the story of David and the fictional Holywood story is really tragic in the end. What are your thoughts on these issues?
- Yes Francois it is really sad and shocking what can happen when you do not deal with sin in your life.
- It is so easy to wander in your life and you do not realize the destruction that will follow.
– You would never have thought that will happen to the mighties king of Israel. Would you close us out with a prayer?
- Morning Father. Thank you for a new day.
- Lord I know that I can be weak and this might happen to anybody who does not stay close to you.
- I do know God there is a way back to you wherever we are in the weak process.
- I am so glad I found Francois that can help me to get open with my sin in my life and get help.
- Lord I do not have to live with the guilt of my sin or self pity and lonelyness that follows it.
- I can live a life of serving you wholeheartedly loving you.
- Thank you just for this study and Francois’ boldness to reach out to me, wanting me to be a disciple that loves God wholeheartedly.