Excess: an amount of something that is more than necessary, permitted, or desirable. Lack of moderation, especially in eating or drinking.
0. Review of Yesterdays study:
- Do I have the characteristics of discipline or undiscipline?
- Are you growing or stagnating?
- Are you maybe running “aimlessly”?
1. The Bible Scriptures:
– There are any number of things that are not wrong and in of themselves, but to do they in excess without God’s control will have a negative effect on your life and outreach.
– Let’s see what the Bible has to say about discipline John:
6 But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. 8 But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.9 Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.
- Well the first thing he says Franxcois is that we brought nothing into the world and we can take nothing out of it.
- He says that if we have food and clothing we will be content with that! Wow, who of us is just content with food and clothing?
- Being a workaholic, definately.
- When I was younger Francois we used to drink excessively.
- Binge watching TV and movies.
- Being a sports fanatic I spend so much time doing that.
- Work to many long hours and neglect sharing your faith and being in Bible Studies that can help people go to heaven.
- Loving Money and spending excessive time trying to make it.
- Trying to compete with the Joneses.
- Getting your worth from money instead of God, that is being worldly minded.
– Linda meditate on what your life look like with the different areas under control. Get the image fixed in your mind. Now pray for God to give you the power to make that an reality. Make sure you really want it before you pray.
- Yes Francois it is really scary what the verse says that the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil and that if you are eager for money you will wander from the faith.
- My pleasure, Francois.
- Father God, thank you for a new day.
- Thank you that we can put our trust in you to take care of us.
- I know if I live for money in the end I will leave you God just like the Israelites did.
- Having things in excess God distracts me from my purpose in making disciples.
- I know happiness comes from being content with what you allow us to have in our lives and that satan dangles that carrot in front of our noses to make us think that more money will make us happy but like the proverb says: “12 The sleep of a labouring man is sweet, whether he eat little or much: but the abundance of the rich will not suffer him to sleep.” Ecc 5:12.
- If I know thatthere is little poison in my glass of water surely I will not drink it, how much more should we be alert that that the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. It truly poisons our lives.
- Father I love you and I want to serve You with my whole heart, not money!
- If you would like to study the Bible and learn more, get a mentor, please feel free to contact me by whatsapp me +27 79 481 8989. Join our find your greatness meetup group.
This is a good illustration of the baggage we carry with us.