1. The Movie:
On the day of her birth, Ella is given a gift from her fairy godmother – the gift of obedience, which is also a curse. Under no circumstances can she refuse anything she is asked to do, no matter how wicked it may be. Tired of being taken advantage of, she, with a talking book as her companion, leaves home to find her fairy godmother and return her unwanted gift. This simple errand soon turns into an amazing journey filled with ogres, giants, wicked stepsisters, elves, and the plotting of Prince Charmont’s evil uncle, who wants to take over the crown and rule the kingdom.
2. Quotes from the Movie:
– A movie where someone is exploited for their obedience Hans, sounds like a horror movie Hans. Ella’s blessing turned into a curse by her fairy godmother who meant if for her good. Her evil sisters use it to her detriment to make her look stupid and uplift themselves instead by making fun of her. In the adventure of her being freed from her curse she meets a prince which she fell in love with. In her interactions with the prince she discovers that the kingdom is in danger of falling into a evil brother in laws hands if she does not do anything about it. Luckily like in a fairy tale the good wins over the evil king and the fairy tale romantic movie of a king and a maiden get married and live happily ever after.
I think nowadays Hans people see obedience to God; as a curse of God spoiling their fun by making all the fun things sin. We do not however see that obedience which in essence is submission as a blessing but a curse. Her evil steph sisters exploit her “curse” to humiliate her and make fun of her.
In her quest to be freed from her curse she meets the prince. Isn’t that many times how we get to God? Things in our lives must really go bad; loving our sin before we seek and reach out for God. That is when we realize obedience / submission is a good thing and not a curse. In the end if we are really desperate to get freed from our sin and misery in our lives we just might find the prince Jesus; who brings us happiness and peace of mind. If we submit to God we also inevitably might save the “kingdom” which is God’s church and build it for His Glory.
3. The Bible Scriptures:
– Hans on the first day of our study on this topic we want to look at the different places in Scripture where submission is called for. Look up the following scriptures and list those to whom we are to be submissive to and their names?
- Ok Francois first to submit to God and not the devil.
- Then resist the devil / worldly influence.
b) Submission to Government
13 Therefore submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord’s sake, whether to the king as supreme, 14 or to governors, as to those who are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and for the praise of those who do good. 15 For this is the will of God, that by doing good you may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men 16 as free, yet not using liberty as a cloak for vice, but as bondservants of God. 17 Honor all people. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the king.
Submission to Masters
18 Servants, be submissive to your masters with all fear, not only to the good and gentle, but also to the harsh.
- Submit to ordanance of man which is the Government Francois.
- Submit to the punishers of the government which is the Police.
- Submit to Masters / Bosses. Sometimes you might think you have a better plan and your boss just don’t see it, then you still need to go with his plan even if he and your colleauges revile. He might listen to you later and then the company might start making more money and your job might be secure because you have a positive cashflow.
c) Wives, likewise, be submissive to your own husbands, that even if some do not obey the word, they, without a word, may be won by the conduct of their wives, 2 when they observe your chaste conduct accompanied by fear. 3 Do not let your adornment be merely outward arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel— 4 rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God. 5 For in this manner, in former times, the holy women who trusted in God also adorned themselves, being submissive to their own husbands.
- Wives submit to your husbands – Marissa to me.
- Church members – All my church friends.
e) Have confidence in your leaders and submit to their authority, because they keep watch over you as those who must give an account. Do this so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no benefit to you.
- Church Leaders – Andrew & Patrique, Jacques and Jeanette.
f) In the same way, you who are younger, submit yourselves to your elders. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, “God opposes the proud, but shows favor to the humble.”
- Younger submit to elders, people who are older – Chris Wooden.
- Submit to one another – The church.
– Hans what are some of the major problems that you have, with having a submissive attitude in these relationships?
a) Francois if I do not submit to God, I will submit to the devil. I will live a sinful destructive life.
b) If I do not submit myself to the government I will end up in jail.
c) You might experience abuse from your husband or your boss.
d) You will be labelled as prideful and arrogant. People will not want to have to deal with you in any way.
e) If I do not submit myself to people in the church I will be kicked out.
f) Elders have more experience and in that way we need to submit. You will be seen as a dumb inexperienced person. If I am not humble towards one another I will be rejected by people.
– Why does being submissive fit with what you know about the message of Jesus Hans?
– Ella enchanted is a really cute romantic movie. It starts off bad but have a good ending. It is pretty much our lives if we become disciples of Jesus, we might live in the world sinning it up but in the process find Jesus. God wants to save us from ourselves and our sin which will kill us for eternity if we do not get saved by being baptized for the forgiveness of our sin and receive the Holy Spirit. That is why He want us to submit to Him first and foremost. If we submit to God first and foremost we will submit to other people as we discussed here above. If we do not submit to God and others we destroy ourselves and the people around us that we love for now and for eternity.
- Yes Francois what you said has pretty much happened to me.
- One guy stood up in our class at varsity and invited the whole class to a bible discussion.
- From there I started studying the Bible intensively with my friends who helped me become a disciple that changed my whole life.
- I had to first submit to God’s word first before my life changed to become the life that God expects me to have.
– Sound great Hans. God determines the times and places where we should live so we can find Him, although He is not far from us. (Acts 17:26-27) So we have a 100 % chance of finding God, what will determine if we become disciples is if we submit to God and have faith.
– Please close us out in a prayer Hans?
- Morning Dad.
- This is such a powerful and convicting study Lord.
- I pray that I will submit to You by be obedient to your word.
- It really takes faith to obey your word and be wholehearted committed to you.
- Lord I know it is hard to submit to the government whilst they are corrupt and not being Godly.
- I know that I will submit to the government if I submit to you and have faith in you.
- I know God if I do not submit to you that I submit to the devil.
- Lord a good example of people who do not submit to the Government is the guys who is in jail. That is pretty much a good spiritual indication what will happen to us if we do not submit to You, we will end up in the spiritual prison hell if we do not submit to You Lord.
- Father I do know it is hard to submit to bosses especially if they are rude, abusive and unfair.
- God the sign that women are abused in the world is the Feminist movement. We know that if women have a Godly husband their husbands will treat them as princesses and not abuse them.
- We know in our relationships that if we submit to Christ we will submit to other people in our lives.
- Father with the religeous world there is so much abuse of of people’s finances through contribution while the preacher get rich of us. Then it is very hard to submit to leaders.
- We know that with the mellenials there is a rebellious attitude towards parents and elder people, especially people in government seeing that parents do not discipline their children any more. Help me Lord to discipline my children, otherwise I will be partner to their death. (Pr 19:18)
- Lord I know if I love you and have faith in You I will submit to You and people.