When you say: “It is a sign” it is an indication of something else or point to that.
Sometimes a sign can be misleading, especially body language if you do not pick up the cues.
Let’s have a look at what I am talking about.
Now this might be a quirky illustration but it will suffice for our demonstration.
The pelican being all friendly and wanting to make friends wanted to fit in with the crowd. The crowd did not want to accept his invitation and wanted to make fun of him. Was it his intention to let them loose all their feathers? No, he wanted friendship and being not hostile to them. The outcome though; is that the small birds lots all their feathers and the pelican did not make friends.
So when you say “This is a sign of” can be totally misleading of the real intention.
Let’s have a look at a biblical example.
2 By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? 3 Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life. – (Rom 6:2-4)
So people who make this claim: “Baptism is an outward sign of an inward grace” does not believe baptism saves you or a ceremonial rite.
Here it states that baptism is an actual participation in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ. It is not merely a sign, seal or symbol.
The guy who believes baptism does not save you haven’t read the following verses:
1. “He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned” (Mrk 16:16).
2. “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit” (Acts 2:38).
3. “Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord” (Acts 22:16).
4. “For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ” (Gal. 3:27).
5. “This water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ” (1 Pet 3:21).
So what is the problem here of someone who believes that “Baptism is an outward sign of an inward grace”?
I would say they are ignorant and love to follow traditions rather than God.
Of them the scripture is true: “Jesus answered them, “You are deceived, because you don’t know the Scriptures or the power of God” (Mat 22:29)
So your ignorance might cost you your salvation! What a scary thought!!!
Do not let your pride, arrogance and ignorance keep you from obeying God. You will not be judged by your pastor but by God. Who do you want to please more, God or your pastor?
Your heart will reveal what you really believe: “Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?” (Gal 4:16)
Prayer for Today:
Wow God it is really clear from the Bible that baptism does save you!!! Help me to study it out if I don’t agree so I can have my own faith and conviction, because I will not be saved by traditions that is taught by men but by the truth. Lord I love you and want to do your will not mine. Amen.
Next Study – Page 4 of 6