* Ice Breaker: Please tell us your name and your best vacation at the sea?
What are somethings you know you should do but try to avoid doing them?
- Wash the dishes.
- Do maintenance on your car.
- Pay your taxes.
- Going to work.
What happened when you didn’t do it?
- You got a mountain of cultery and plates lying around in your house.
- You could not get to work because your car broke down.
- SARS starts sending you messages.
Why did you not want to do it?
- Did not want to spend money.
Did not doing it affect anyone else.
1 The word of the Lord came to Jonah son of Amittai: 2 “Go to the great city of Nineveh and preach against it, because its wickedness has come up before me.” 3 But Jonah ran away from the Lord and headed for Tarshish. He went down to Joppa, where he found a ship bound for that port. After paying the fare, he went aboard and sailed for Tarshish to flee from the Lord. 4 Then the Lord sent a great wind on the sea, and such a violent storm arose that the ship threatened to break up. 5 All the sailors were afraid and each cried out to his own god. And they threw the cargo into the sea to lighten the ship. But Jonah had gone below deck, where he lay down and fell into a deep sleep. 6 The captain went to him and said, “How can you sleep? Get up and call on your god! Maybe he will take notice of us so that we will not perish.” 7 Then the sailors said to each other, “Come, let us cast lots to find out who is responsible for this calamity.” They cast lots and the lot fell on Jonah. 8 So they asked him, “Tell us, who is responsible for making all this trouble for us? What kind of work do you do? Where do you come from? What is your country? From what people are you?” 9 He answered, “I am a Hebrew and I worship the Lord, the God of heaven, who made the sea and the dry land.” Jonah 1:1-9
- What did Jonah avoid doing?
- Going to Nineveh.
- Preaching to them.
- Why did he not want to do it?
- The Assirians killed Israelites.
- Fear of the Assirians.
- Waste of time.
- Did I really hear the word of the Lord, or was it a dream?
- Who did Jonah’s actions affect?
- His shipmates.
- The people in Nineveh.
- What are you avoiding to do for GOD?
- Repent of sin.
- Share my faith.
- I am not convicted of sin.
- Don’t know who God is.
- Fear of what other people would say.
- Don’t plan.
- Who is being affected by your refusal to do what GOD is asking of you?
- People who haven’t become Christians.
- Will you do what GOD ask of you knowing that your refusal will affect others negativity?
- We we are not disciplined.
- So that is why we are lazy. The lazy servant was thrown out of the vineyard.
- When we are lazy we do not study our Bibles.
- When we do not study our Bibles we do not have faith.
- When I do not have faith I do not please God and I do not share my faith.
Learn what GOD expects of you by studying the Bible and do not run away for any reason.
- Any feedback or comments?