Is Discipleship a ministry in your church or the ministry of your church ?
“Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test?” – 2 Corinthians 13:5 NIV
This question has been hitting me like a brick for a while.
A question comes to mind?
Am I a disciple if I don’t make disciples?
Scary thought if you think : Disciple = Christian = Saved !!!
Is your purpose in life to be a Disciple or a “Christian” ?
“Then Jesus came to them (The disciples) and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”” – Matthew 28:18-20 niv
I had to come to the realization that although I reached out to people and studied the Bible with them no one became a disciple in 21 years. Surely I should have seen this long ago or got a solution to me, not being fruitful.
So what has changed from when I became a disciple and were fruitful with making disciples to not being fruitful as a disciple?
- Not feeling leadership is worthy of respect. Their lives did not inspire me. Well you can most probably say I was imitating them and their attitude. 1 Cor 11:1
- Not making every effort. Luk 13:24
- My heart wasn’t fully committed to the Lord. 2 Cron 16:9
- Making disciples wasn’t my purpose in life anymore. Luk 19:10
- Not being healed because confessing sin was not a priority. Jms 5:16
- Not seeking first the kingdom and His righteousness but the comfort for my life. Mat 6:33
- Sharing an invite and not the gospel. 1 Cor 15:1-4
- Not believing the harvest is plentiful. Mat 9:37. Not being a workmen. It is hard work to make disciples or would you rather just be comfortable?
- Not asking the right questions to people about their relationship with God and being too scared and not knowledgeable. Acts 19:2
- Not really care if people are going to hell. Jude 1:23
- Not having a compassionate heart. Mat 23:37
- Not denying myself and taking up my cross. Luk 9:23
- Not having deep, meaningful discipling times where I bear my heart and my discipler being concerned about my righteousness!!! 2 Tim 4:2-4
- Not overcoming sin, struggling all the time. Heb 3:12
- Not believing that we can reach the world in our generation. 1 Disciple make 1 Disciple per year for the next 35 years then the whole world is evangelized reaching 17 billion people. Acts 19:10
- Not realizing I was lukewarm and about to be spit out of God’s mouth. Not being self aware and seeing myself from God’s perspective. Rev 3:14-22
There is really only one of two choices!!! Luk 13:1-9
So I was faced with a decision and repented !!! Amen !!!