“It is not joy that makes us grateful. It is gratitude that makes us joyful” – Anonymous
Hans would you say you want to be joyful?
Brad Turnbull said – “You are as happy as you choose to be”
So the question is what make us unhappy Hans?
– If we deal with the unhappiness we will by default be happy, don’t you think?
- Makes sense to me Francois.
Hans some other questions we are looking at:
– What gives you joy in your heart?
– Is what gives you joy lasting or fleeting?
- Francois some people might say posessions give you joy, but why is most film stars are not happy?
- Money people say will make you happy, but if you look at lottery winners after 5 years they are worse off than before they won the money.
- Travel some people say is the pinnacle of joy, but if you cannot share it with someone you are lonely.
- You might say marriage bring you joy, but 2 out of 3 of them fails?
– So if joy comes from being grateful, we need to focus on how we can be grateful Hans don’t you think?
- Sounds awesome Francois, let’s do it!
The dictionary says that gratitude is a feeling of thankfulness and appreciation.
Let’s see how Jesus lived a grateful life:
’19 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’ But wisdom is proved right by her deeds.”’ – Matthew 11:19 | NIV
– Hans what must you be known for?
- Being a friend to people in the world who does not know Jesus yet or are struggling with their relationship with God Francois.
- Also eating and drinking with them.
“15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth”. – 2 Timothy 2:15 | NIV
– What type of worker do you need to be Hans?
- Do my utmost best.
- My work for God needs to be at such a level that I will be approved by God.
- Francois if I am ashamed then there is something wrong.
- I need to handle the word of God correctly.
“4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!” – Philippians 4:4 | NIV
– What should my mental state of mind be mostly Hans?
- Francois it does not say rejoice in my situation or anything else except in the Lord.
- I think most of the times by default we look to rejoice in worldly circumstances.
Hans that was great studying with you again. Would you mind closing us out with a prayer?
- Yes thank you Francois, sure I will close us out with a prayer. Dear Lord. Thank you that we could learn about gratitude today and how to live it out in my life. I appreciate that you call me to build friendships with my friends in the world so hopefully they can also become disciples. I pray that my bible study will lead to me being a approved worker in your kingdom. Thank you Lord that my joy is not dependent on circumstances but that it is based in You. Amen
Tomorrow we will be looking at: An approved worker – Authority