Faith is complete trust or confidence in someone or something. Also strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual proof. Trust being a firm belief in the reliability, truth, or ability of someone or something.
0. Review of Yesterdays study:
1. The Bible Scriptures:
Another key element in prayer is faith. Prayer alone without faith has no effect.
– Let’s see what the Bible has to say about faith Hans:
6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
12 On the day the Lord gave the Amorites over to Israel, Joshua said to the Lord in the presence of Israel:
“Sun, stand still over Gibeon,
and you, moon, over the Valley of Aijalon.”
13 So the sun stood still,
and the moon stopped,
till the nation avenged itself on[a] its enemies,
as it is written in the Book of Jashar.
The sun stopped in the middle of the sky and delayed going down about a full day. 14 There has never been a day like it before or since, a day when the Lord listened to a human being. Surely the Lord was fighting for Israel!
Faith carries our prayers to the ears of God. God listened to a man – Joshua – because he prayed believing, and the sun and moon stood still. Joshua asked for something that was impossible, yet he asked the God who makes “all things possible.”
22 “Have faith in God,” Jesus answered. 23 “Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them. 24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
- Does this really work Francois?
- Would God listen to me a sinner?
- Would my fear of failure stop me from praying because I do not want to be disappointed if God decides not to answer me immediately?
- Is this something God would answer?
- Well currently we are experiencing Covid, when will we see the end of it?
- When I am in the dumps, if God can give me hope or relief Francois?
- When my dreams does not come true, or will they ever come true.
- Francois my lack of understanding of who God is.
- I forget so quickly how God has blessed me in the past.
- It comes from when I compare our life situations with others.
- I am actually questioning my ability to meet the expectations to please other people of what I think is possible.
The Parable of the Persistent Widow
18 Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. 2 He said: “In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared what people thought. 3 And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, ‘Grant me justice against my adversary.’
4 “For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, ‘Even though I don’t fear God or care what people think, 5 yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won’t eventually come and attack me!’”
6 And the Lord said, “Listen to what the unjust judge says. 7 And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? 8 I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?”
5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. 6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7 That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.
- I should not doubt, after I asked God and He does not immediately answer me Francois.
- I should persevere in prayer and keep on asking like the previous scriptures teach me.
- If I do not persevere in prayer I am an unstable person as we learned in this Sundays message.
- Francois that my hope is in God and not in my current life situation which might be dire.
- If I am experiencing failure here is a nice quote: “Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts.” – Winston Churchill.
- If your dreams does not come to fruition, pray to God for a new dream. They say people on average will do 7 different types of jobs during their lifetime. I can vouch for that. Say you loose your job, the new job might not even be what you have been your doing that made you lost your job, just roll with the punches and take the job even if it is not in your field of experience.
– Hans after this study I hope you will know how to persevere in prayer to God.
- Yes Francois that is so important to be patient with God in prayer, allow God to be God in my life.
- Morning Dad.
- Thank you for a new day to live to please you.
- Thank you Father that I can persevere in prayer.
- It is just like I wanted to become a quantity surveyor and it took me 8 years to complete that degree, also studying part time when I was in the army.
- Some things takes time to accomplish, even years with some hard work.
- Help me to do the hard work to keep on praying about my dreams to glorify You.
- I pray that I will be like the persistent widow that keep on bugging you.
- I pray for wisdom on what to pray to You, so that I might ask according to your will like we have seen in the previous studies.
– So Hans what are some practicals to have faith in Jesus answering my prayers.
- It is the new year and I should start by planning according to my roles that I fulfill in life.
- It is like the funeral concept, if you go to a funeral and you realize it was yours. What would you want the following people to say about you in your eulogy? Like your pastor, friend, work colleague and your spouse. That will give you some vision and wisdom about your life. Start praying about it.
- If God is not answering your prayers, you might not be praying according to His will. Study out in the Bible what God’s will for your life is or ask a friend to study the Bible with you to find out. I will gladly study with you, please contact me.
- Study out God’s character and His promises, you will be encouraged.