0. Review of Yesterdays study:
– Hans what can you remember of yesterdays study?
- Well morning Francois.
- Well pretty much the main point was that if I do not submit to God I will not grow in the Lord and it might bring on worse consequences for my life.
1. The Movie:
The movie “Catch me if you can” starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks, with Christopher Walken, Martin Sheen, and Nathalie Baye in supporting roles. The film is based on the life of Frank Abagnale, who, before his 19th birthday, successfully performed cons worth millions of dollars by posing as a Pan American World Airways pilot, a Georgia doctor and a Louisiana parish prosecutor. His foremost crime was check fraud; he became so highly skilled that the FBI later turned to him for help catching other check forgers.
A review states that: “A seasoned FBI agent pursues Frank Abagnale Jr. who, before his 19th birthday, successfully forged millions of dollars’ worth of checks while posing as a Pan Am pilot, a doctor, and a legal prosecutor.” — ahmetkozan
2. Quotes from the Movie:
– This is an adventure that every young man would love to live (in a worldly sense), being the “Bond of the sky”. Taking different flights all over the world without having a cash flow problem. You are buying a house on the Miami beach with a lot of friends living it up. But there is this irritating guy who tries to catch you and you just can’t seem to shake him, because it is his job to catch you. Which started out as an adventure is turning into a nightmare of changing your life so this FBI agent will not catch you.Being ignorant and living your dream, the truth finally catches up with you and you have to give account for your actions.
Is this not how we want to live our lives. One big boyarism adventure without any consequences, or so it seems. Travel, girls, money, power, etc? Then there is reality, we have to come to terms with it but we keep on running away from it. Unfortunately the “House always wins” and we have to give an account of our lives to God. Life is a bliss and we live our lives in ignorance, who is gonna know. Is life really a life of bliss or does God call us to live a “boring” life (in worldly terms) being righteous?
3. The Bible Scriptures:
13 Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human authority: whether to the emperor, as the supreme authority
1 Pet 2:13
– Hans comment on each of the following phrases in this verse:
a) “submit yourselves”
b) “for the Lord’s sake”
c) “to every authority instituted among men”
- a) Francois well it means to yield to the power of another. This is a volutary action bases presupposed by knowledge of the person you submit to who you respect and upheld in high honor. It means that you would rather honor that persons “mindset” over your own opinion.
- b) It means to honor the Lord in this. It means you have God in mind when doing the submission part. Looking at some synonyms: His cause, purpose, reason, aim, end, objective, object, goal, motive. for purposes of, for, in the interests of, in the cause of, in the furtherance of, in order to achieve, with something in mind. So it means it is for the Lord’s purpose, cause, reason, etc not your own.
- c) Every authority means every authority. So I must ask myself to which authority do I not submit myself to Francois?
– Is the following statement true or false Hans? “Whenever we don’t have a submissive attitude it is not for the Lord’s sake but for our sake”. Explain your answer.
- It is true Francois. We have a selfish nature by default. The reason we are not submitting to God is because we have a selfish ambition and dream. I am asking myself Francois what might that selfish ambition be? It might be my work, my immage that I want to uphold (a worldly one) or status, what other people think of me or think of my success.
– Think of some times in your life Hans, when you were not submissive. How was your unsubmissiveness “for your sake” and not “for the Lord’s sake”?
- I was living my dream life thinking of what I want to achieve through my life, not what God wants to achieve through my life.
- I think God wants to save us from our sin and it’s consequences.
- Unsubmissiveness says to God I know more than He does and that I have a better plan than Him which is just arrogance.
– Hans, a man claiming to be a Christian once made this statement: “I submit to Jesus Christ and I submit to God, But any submission to men is way down the list, and I mean way down on the list.” What do you think of his attitude Hans? How does it fit with Scripture?
- If I cannot submit to men how can I submit to God, really?
- Our submission to authorities shows that we obey God and submit to him.
– Hans if I look at the alternative of submission which is rebellion; it makes submission so much more important. I know that God hates pride, but noy being submissive can crawl in so easily undetected even if we have a good motive according to ourselves.
- Francois I see it now clearly. Our heart truly get’s revealed with submission.
– Hans please close us out in a prayer.
- My pleasure.
- Morning Father,
- This topic has truly got me between the eyes.
- I know when the authorities is not reputable then it is even harder to submit because you feel justified to rebel seeing that they are not respectable.
- Jesus I know in Your time on earth how cruel the Romans were, yet I do not pick up in the Bible even a hint of You being a rebel or a zealout.
- We are called by You Father to follow Your Son Jesus.
- If I follow You Jesus as You have called me, I will be a fisher of men; that is my distinguishing mark being a disciple / Christian. (Mrk 1:16)
- Jesus I think just how hard it must have been for You to submit yourself to death willingly.
- If it was me, I most probably will go kicking and screaming to be honest.
- Lord help me to have this humble heart and submit to Your authority that is being enforce by every human authority.
– So Hans how can I make sure I submit to every human authority God has instituted?
- I must ask myself Francoiis what does it take to be a model citizen?
- I must ask myself what is normally the areas in which people fail to be model citizens?
- What are my weaknesses in this regard?
- What advice can I ask of people to make sure I submit?
- Do I have a plan of action on how I will make myself submit?
- I must think about what the consequences will be if I do not submit?
- Would my attitude and actions honor God in my current state of submissiveness?