Fruit affected with rot; decomposing, decaying, or putrid.
Breaking up, esp. through age or hard use; disintegrating. rotten
1. The Bible Scriptures:
– Let’s see what the Bible has to say about self-discipline / self-control John:
18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thes 5:18
3 It is God’s will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality;
20 Now may the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, 21 equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
23 Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.
5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.
5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.
15 For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish people.
15 Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. 17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is. 18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit, 19speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, 20 always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.
36 You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised.
a) Why will a lack of self-control (self-discipline) hinder your ability to love John?
- Francois love is a verb and it is not a one time thing, it is a daily thing / discipline!
- Love take work and attention and if it is not consistent it is not seen as love, but almost as a fling.
- I can’t not come home to my wife three out of the seven days of the week!
- What do you think she is thinking? Not good though’s I think!!!
- If you don’t have self control you would not love consistently and that would have a knock on effect on your relationships which would have a knock on effect on your peace.
- If we are not a peace with God we cannot love people, because God is love.
- If you are not self-controlled in your speech you will hurt people by your words and that will distance them from you.
c) Why will lack of self-control often frustrate your ability to be kind, patient and gentle?
- You would be like a garbage truck that dumps on everybody.
- Someone who lacks self-control is not kind, gentle and patient.
- You don’t think how your actions and words will affect other people.
- You are almost like a brute beast, a caveman in short who hasn’t evolved!
- Francois I think humility is underestimated.
- I believe when we submit ourselves to do God’s will the Spirit can freely work through us.
- If I want to do my will, chances are good that the fruits of the Spirit will not attain the worldly goals I have for my life.
– John self-control must asert itself for us to live godly and righteous live before God. God gave us a free choice to follow Him. The only thing we really can do is to humble ourselves so God can work through us. That is why it is called the fruits of the Spirit.
- I totally agree Francois our own will in doing what we want and not God will only take us to hell.
- My pleasure, Francois.
- Good Morning Jesus.
- Thank you for coming to earth to lay your life down so we might see an example how You want us to live.
- When I feel the urge to lash out I must rather try to serve and love my enemies like You did and not to get my way.
- Funny enough the world would like to aquire all these characteristic of the Spirit working in us but they are trying to do it themselves and it fails.
- Holy Spirit thank you for working through us to keep us close to You.
- If you would like to study the Bible and learn more, get a mentor, please feel free to contact me by whatsapp me +27 79 481 8989. Join our find your greatness meetup group.