“I have come to the pinnacle of success in business. In the eyes of others, my life has been the symbol of success. However, apart from work, I have little joy. Finally, my wealth is simply a fact to which I am accustomed.
At this time, lying on the hospital bed and remembering all my life, I realize that all the accolades and riches of which I was once so proud, have become insignificant, with my imminent death. In the dark, when I look at green lights, of the equipment for artificial respiration and feel the buzz of their mechanical sounds, I can feel the breath of my approaching death looming over me.
Only now do I understand that once you accumulate enough money for the rest of your life, you have to pursue objectives that are not related to wealth. It should be something more important. For example, stories of love, art, dreams of my childhood.
No, stop pursuing wealth, it can only make a person into a twisted being, just like me. God has made us one way, we can feel the love in the heart of each of us, and not illusions built by fame or money, like I made in my life, I cannot take them with me. I can only take with me the memories that were strengthened by love. This is the true wealth that will follow you; will accompany you, he will give strength and light to go ahead. Love can travel thousands of miles and so life has no limits.” – Steve Jobs – 1955 to 2011
Let’s track back to the riches man 3000 years ago.
1 I said to myself, “Come now, I will test you with pleasure to find out what is good.” But that also proved to be meaningless.
2 “Laughter,” I said, “is madness. And what does pleasure accomplish?” 3 I tried cheering myself with wine, and embracing folly—my mind still guiding me with wisdom. I wanted to see what was good for people to do under the heavens during the few days of their lives.
4 I undertook great projects: I built houses for myself and planted vineyards. 5 I made gardens and parks and planted all kinds of fruit trees in them. 6 I made reservoirs to water groves of flourishing trees. 7 I bought male and female slaves and had other slaves who were born in my house. I also owned more herds and flocks than anyone in Jerusalem before me.
8 I amassed silver and gold for myself, and the treasure of kings and provinces. I acquired male and female singers, and a harem as well—the delights of a man’s heart.
9 I became greater by far than anyone in Jerusalem before me. In all this my wisdom stayed with me.
10 I denied myself nothing my eyes desired;I refused my heart no pleasure.My heart took delight in all my labor,and this was the reward for all my toil.
11 Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had doneand what I had toiled to achieve,everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;nothing was gained under the sun. – King Solomon – Ecc 2:1-11 | NIV
So your last words; is a summary if your life was worth living and purposeful.
Let’s have a look at Jesus’ last words before He left the earth physically.
18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” – Matthew 28:18-20 | NIV
We have a fictitious character called Hans that we will study the Bible with and ask him questions pertaining to the scripture we are dealing with?
Q. What was on Jesus’ heart?
- He can tell us what to do because He has all authority.
- We need to go and make disciples of all nations.
- Baptize the person we made a disciple.
- Teach the disciples everything that Jesus commanded.
Q. So Hans what does it mean that Jesus has all authority over you?
- Jaaaaa, He is the big boss and He normally lays down the rules.
- I need to respect Him and need to do what He says.
Q. So Hans, how do you feel about Jesus having all authority over you?
- I feel good because I know that God has my best interest at heart. It is scary as well.
Q. Hans, where is Jesus telling you to go?
- To all nations, the whole world.
Q. Hans, what does Jesus want you to do with the life He has given you?
- Well, make disciple.
Q. Hans who in your life heard Jesus say “go” and went to you?
- Well the first guy who invited me to bible talk was Louis Wolhuter who invited the whole building services class of about 100 to bible talk.
- Next there was Steve Vermaak who studied the Bible with me helping me to become a disciple.
- Then there was also Jacques Marais who led the campus ministry and helped us to stay faithful.
Q. Hans how do you feel about Louis, Jacques and Steve because they obeyed Jesus to go and make disciples?
- Francois I feel very grateful that they gave up some of their lives to help me.
- I am glad that they were obedient to Jesus.
- I am glad Louis had the guts to stand up to invite the class of a 100 people to invite me.
- I am glad that Steve studied the Bible with me and gave up his time to work through my issues.
- I am glad that Jacques did all those early morning meetings with us at campus.
Q. So Hans, what did your baptism in Christ meant to you?
- Well Francois it meant That I am cleansed from my sin and no longer a slave to it.
- That I received the indwelling Holy Spirit.
- That I am part of the eternal family of God.
Mmm. I see Hans that sounds excellent!
Q. So Hans what has changed because of your decision?
- My vision changed from making money to pleasing and loving God.
- My mission became to make disciples.
- I developed a spiritual love for people.
- My friendships became deep and not just scratching the surface
How I look at the word.
Here are some practicals dependent on where you are with your spiritual walk with Christ:
Prayer for today:
Wow Lord You have truly called me to an awesome purpose, to seek and save what is lost just as the Father has sent you. Help me to be a great disciple who honors You with my life by making disciple’s of all nations, phew what a task. Lord I believe the 11 disciple must have been quite overwhelmed when you told them that; even still while some did not believe! Lord help me to live a thankful life that shows it by my deeds. I truly don’t want to end up up like Steve Jobs saying the things he said in in his eulogy. Help me to humble myself so become your disciple in Christ.Amen.
Next Day – My Mission – Part 2 of 8