Read Time:5 Minute, 6 Second
"18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” - Mat 28:18-20
- Well my father taught us that we are Christians in a Christian family.
- As far as I can remember I have always been going to church.
- I was baptized as a baby.
- I went to Sunday school classes my whole life.
- My mom, dad and I sang in the choir.
- My dad was a deacon and served on the building commision for the church.
- Some of our friends was the church members.
- I was confirmed in the church and then I could take communion.
- Yes I had some vices like smoking, drinking, looking at stuff on the internet but “every” Christian is not perfect.
- I even invited Jesus into my heart twice.
- We know that the disciples were called Christians in (Acts 11:26).
- So that is actually where the word Christian comes from.
- Jesus says in vers 19 to go and make disciples of all nations.
- It is clear then that God wants all men to be disciples.
- Have you become a disciple yet? Do you know what it means to be a disciple?
- But I want to focus on the word “Make”, make disciples.
- According to the Oxford Dictionary the definition for make is:
- form (something) by putting parts together or combining substances; create.
- cause (something) to exist or come about; bring about.
- So it is to form something to exist.
- So can I be a Christian by default? Disciples are not born, but they are made according to the Bible.
- Let me illustrate; let’s say you’re a professional golfer.
- Were you one from birth? (laughs) (If you have not played golf yet, try to make a birdie on the first hole you play. That means one shot less than course average.)
- No, you had to spend about 10,000 hours gaining experience.
- When you are invited to play at Sun City with the “Million Dollar” tournament then you know, you are a professional golfer
- So you see, you have to become a Professional Golfer.
- Same as a Disciple; you must be made one.
- Ok so first you get made into a disciple!
- What does the Bible say should we do next.
- So further in vers 19 it says the disciples should be baptized, baptizing them.
- Who is the them, it is the guy you just made a disciple.
- Why must I be baptized after I become a disciple? Now that is a very good question I must say! Contact me to study that out.
- So I am just thinking I cannot make a baby into a disciple! Babies just “they just eat and poop and they cry” like Shrek said in the movie.
- So did Jesus say baptize babies or disciples? I think it is clear it is disciples; which you have to be first made into before getting baptized.
- Well lets get back to the scripture, verse 20 says I must “teach them to obey”.
- I found a nice illustration on Slideplayer.com.
- No, Jesus clearly says we need to teach them to obey.
- So I think we are very familiar with being taugh at school.
- Being taught to obey is a different kettle of fish.
- It means like Jesus walked with His disciples, it is a hands on training or an apprenticeship.
- It is like your kids growing up and you as a dad or mom teach them the ropes of life.
- I taught my daugter the other day to fasten her shoes, by tying her shoelaces.
- Was she born making her shoelaces? It is a bit ridiculous thinking that way, but that is how we sometimes think we became a disciple.
- So we need to teach the newly baptized disciple to obey everything.
- That means we have to have a mentor in our lives every day to teach us the ropes.
- Find out what it really means to be a disciple which appears about +- 270 times in the BIble!
- The words baptism, baptisms, baptize, baptized, baptizest, baptizeth and baptizing appears altogether a 100 times in the Bible. Have you studied out all those verses?
- Feel free to contact me on Whatsapp +27 79 481 8989 to discuss the topic further.
Other Parts in this Series:
Part 1 : Am I deceived if I do not know the truth? – 2 Thes 2:9-11
Part 2 : Am I a child of God if I believe and accept him? – John 1:12
Part 5: I only need to confess Jesus as my Saviour and Redeemer and then believe I will be saved! – Rom 10:9-10
Part 8: Can the door to my heart be opened to Jesus and thus be saved and go to heaven? – Rev 3:14-20
Part 9 – Am I saved when I was born a Christian into a Christian Family – Mat 28:18-20
Part 10 – If someone could speak from the grave, what would they say? – Luk 16:27-28