0. Review of Yesterdays study:
– Hans what can you remember of yesterday’s study?
- If you still think Francois you approach God on your own merit, yes then you might still grovel, but if you approach God with the mindset that you do it through Christ then you will be confident.
- I can approach God with confidence because I was made into a disciple of Christ (Mat 28:18-20), repented of my sin (Acts 2:38), got baptized for the forgiveness of my sin and received the indwelling Holy Spirit.
- If you haven’t become a disciple yet, start study it out now.
Prayer is a solemn request for help or expression of thanks addressed to God. Jesus or Jesus is the name of the man who Christians believe was the Son of God, and whose teachings are the standard of living for the Christians.
1. The Bible Scriptures:
No one will have a meaningful prayer life who does not appreciate the importance of prayer and perhaps nothing helps us see this importance more than the life of Jesus.
– Let’s see what the Bible has to say about Jesus being a man of prayer Hans:
15 Yet the news about him spread all the more, so that crowds of people came to hear him and to be healed of their sicknesses. 16 But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.
- Well Francois I think when you want to spend time alone with someone it is something special.
- Think about your first date with your first love, how special was that?
- To hold her hand, to look into her eyes and to say special words which would make her feel special.
- It is only when we leave the hustle and bustle of the city that we truly start to see God’s nature and beauty of his creation.
- That is why Solomon said: “28 And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these.” (Mat 6:28-29). Not even Solomon the riches man could not dress like God dresses the flowers of the field. So if you want to to be really entertained by God and His beauty go to those lonely places.
- Have you ever asked yourself how does spending time in nature makes you feel Francois? Refleshed, special, those sunsets and sunrises? Isn’t that how God would like you to feel when you spend time with Him?
- It is like an adventure spending time with your best friend!!!
- Next let’s look at all night prayers.
The Twelve Apostles
12 One of those days Jesus went out to a mountainside to pray, and spent the night praying to God. 13 When morning came, he called his disciples to him and chose twelve of them, whom he also designated apostles:
- Francois have you ever had a all nighter with your best friends?
- I can remember the one time me and my friend Raymond went fishing. We spent all night catching fish and the way we stayed awake was to drink coffee. Needless to say we had to drink 17 coffees!!! It was such a memorable outing I still treasure it to this day!
- I remember going with some disciples to pray on the mountain at the back of the Union Buildings. We made a small fire and braaied some marshmallows. We even did the rain dance around the fire, luckily it did not start raining. What an awesome time we had!
- What do you do for your all night prayers to immitate Jesus?
- Let us look next at praying with other disciples.
Peter Declares That Jesus Is the Messiah
18 Once when Jesus was praying in private and his disciples were with him, he asked them, “Who do the crowds say I am?”
- Francois I think it was exciting.
- I never read complaints in the scriptures from the disciples, they had to go pray again.
- You see it was praying in private again.
- You can see that Jesus was able to ask them spiritual questions and get some answer from them about who He was. Peter indicated that He was the Christ!. Wow acknowledging that the Mesiah who was prophesied for mellenia was here.
- Have you been taught to pray up next.
Jesus’ Teaching on Prayer
11 One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples.”
- The Bible says Jesus was praying in a certain place, so I think Jesus had special places. Do you have special places you pray?
- You only ask someone to teach you to do something if you think they do it very well.
- Francois I think they must have been facinated with how Jesus was praying.
- What is your emotional connection with God like up next.
32 That evening after sunset the people brought to Jesus all the sick and demon-possessed. 33 The whole town gathered at the door, 34 and Jesus healed many who had various diseases. He also drove out many demons, but he would not let the demons speak because they knew who he was.
Jesus Prays in a Solitary Place
35 Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed. 36 Simon and his companions went to look for him,
- He wanted to be alone Francois.
- When it still dark there it must be quieter to pray.
- Solitary place helps him to focus and not be distracted. How do you feel when you talk to someone who is busy on his phone, not very special!
- Jesus had so many special places that it took the dicsiples some time to find Him. I think every place had it’s own special character.
7 During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission. 8 Son though he was, he learned obedience from what he suffered 9 and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him 10 and was designated by God to be high priest in the order of Melchizedek.
- Prayer was not just limited to prayers only but putting your emotions into them.
- Now if you start to petition about something you start to feel more deeply about something.
- When you cry out you are getting desperate about the things that you are asking.
- When there are tears you almost have given up but you are surrendered.
- He was heard because of his reverent submission. So this whole process encaptulates what it means to reverently submit.
- So even Jesus suffered and dealt with his emotions in prayer to help Him through His suffering to become perfect.
- So His prayers led to Him becoming the source of eternal salvation. So prayer was the key for him Him to become our salvation.
- Then Jesus was designated to be our eternal priest before God.
- Jesus prayer life was real to Him.
- He made His prayer times special.
- Jesus connected with His Father on a emotional level, He wasn’t like a robot.
- Jesus dealt with His character in submitting to God by making God His all in all.
– Hans after this study I hope you will find some special places you can have some special prayers!
- Yes Francois I am already thinking of some hills in the area that I can climb.
- Morning Father.
- What a great new day it is!
- Thank you for blessing me with a great sunrise this morning.
- The sun is truly like Your light coming up over our lives physically and spiritually.
- Help me to find some special places so I can connect with you in the morning.
- Help me to make things special in our times together.
- Lord help me to deal with my sufferings through prayers to you.
- Father you know what is on my tongue before I offer it up to prayer.
- Help me to pray small mustard seed prayers that will move the mountains.
– So Hans what are some practicals to pray like Jesus.
- Find a few special solitary places where I can pray Francois.
- Get up early while it is still dark to go and pray.
- Share with God my struggles.
- Write down some things I can petition to God on a regular basis.
- Have a heart connection with God where I can be real with my emotions.