1. The Movie:
The movie “Aladdin” starring Will Smith, Mena Massoud, Naomi Scott, Marwan Kenzari, Navid Negahban, Nasim Pedrad, Billy Magnussen, and Numan Acar. The plot follows Aladdin, a street urchin, as he falls in love with Princess Jasmine, befriends a wish-granting Genie, and battles the wicked Jafar.
A young kindly street thief named Aladdin finds his world turned upside down when he falls in love with a beautiful young girl, who in reality is the gorgeous Princess Jasmine. As Aladdin is determined to win her heart, he comes across a mysterious oil lamp, which holds a powerful genie, who may be the key to making his dreams come true. As the duo becomes close friends, they soon find out that the lamp is also being sought by the wily Jafar, who intends to use the lamp in an evil plot to take over the kingdom and wage war on the neighboring town — Blazer346
2. Quotes from the Movie:
– Don’t we just love this classic tale Hans. A guy goes from zero to hero and win the girls heart and the kingdom.
Isn’t our lives just like this. We start out as a nobody trying to make our lives out to become a prince, but then we try to do it in a worldly way being a “thief” and submitting to evil men who just want power for themselves abusing us. Then we meet God and his disciples and think God is the genie that will fulfill all our earthly dreams. The princess is like the Holy Spirt we long to have to have communion with God. We have to win her heart (God) to achieve our lifes dream and to live happily ever after. How we get the girl; we have to make her happy and be the kind of friend she wants to be with. So if we do not submit to God we will never have the love we desire, but it comes with sacrifices and humility to make every effort to please God and not ourselves. Your desire to please God must be bigger than to fulfill your worldly dreams of fame, power and wealth. In the process that we want to please God we grow in our characters to please God as we submit to His will.
3. The Bible Scriptures:
– One of the things all Christians need to be concerned about is their own personal spiritual growth to live as real disciples of Jesus.
Why is submission Hans such an important attitude to have in order for growth to take place?
- Well I would think Francois that if I know everything already, what is there to learn.
- We all know how we feel about Mr. Know it all.
- Superiority attitude is one of elevating oneself to a position where everybody must know that I am in charge and know what I am doing, it is not one of a student.
- People who are not submissive is actually very insecure and they have to put up a bold bombastic front to force people into submission to them.
- If I have an submissive and humble attitude I am open to learn new things and willing to see things from someone else’s point of view.
– What will happen to the person who is unsubmissive?
- Francois a person who is unsubmissive is not submitting to God.
- A unsubmissive person is prideful and God hates pride and will reject him.
- Someone who is unsubmissve will alienate people from them and not build up God’s kingdom.
51 Then he went down to Nazareth with them and was obedient to them. But his mother treasured all these things in her heart. 52 And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man.
7 During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission. 8 Son though he was, he learned obedience from what he suffered 9 and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him.
– How did Jesus learn what he learned Hans?
- Jesus learned to obey by what he suffered Francois.
- Also reverent submission which most probably lead to suffering.
- He was made perfect through suffering.
– What are some things Hans that you are sure that God wants you to be learning right now, and how will a submissive attitude towards others help you to learn these things?
- Jesus is the Lord of the harvest Francois, we can plan and water but God makes it Grow.
- I think that building relationships take time and we cannot press a fruit to become ripe.
- I can always learn from others to be more effective for God, therefore ask advice.
– Do you feel Hans like you have a rebellious or unsubmissive attitude about anything in your life at the present time?
- Francois I know that I always have to keep myself in check with following traffic rules.
- Not to loose heart when people do not respond to become disciples and give up on people.
- Well looking at our previous study and list the authorities in my life and what can be the possible rebellion or unsubmissve attitude I will list them and look at principles how I can not be submissive reflecting the qualities of my relationships:
- God – If I continue with the same sin not resisting the devil. To not make every effort to follow Jesus. Denying myself to seeking God’s kingdom first.
- Goverment – Taxes, traffic rules, statutory rules.
- To my masters – Follow company policies, follow your bosses plan, if I work as working for the Lord I will do my best every day and not be lazy.
- Wives to their husbands – Not undermine your husbands authority especially in regards to the kids. Not submit to your husbands final decision after discussion even when you do not think he is wrong.
- To one another – I ask myself Francois do I have an incorporating attitude, is there something I can learn from that colleague that I do not like or he/she does not treat me well. If you are not open to input in your life.
- Our spiritual leaders – Do I follow advice given. How effective am I in my walk with God and being a disciple. Or another one is not to ask advice and being independant. To feel embarrased about situations in my life and wanting to hide it and rather solve it myself not getting collective input.
- The younger to the older – I know my dad was a typical engineer wanting to find out what is happening in my life, so he will ask me 20 questions. I must say I miss that. Sometimes what older people say does not seem right to us at the time. Not asking the questions about how we want to do it vs. their advice given.
– The tenor of God’s Word would strongly encourage you to open all that up to someone so you can more quickly deal with it and put it behind you. A rebellious attitude will destroy spiritual growth.
– What a challenging subject hey Hans. It is such a subtle one but very powerful.
- True Francois, but looking at the movie and how it turned out is that if God is our first love we will win the girl (Holy Spirit) who will comfort us for the rest of our lives and we will spend eternity with God.
– Hans please close us out in a prayer.
- No problem.
- Morning my Great Redeemer.
- Father it is such a great Sunday morning with the sun shining and smell the rain that fell last night.
- Seeing the sun break through the creeper on the veranda I am very happy that you keep the earth in check with the sun that make life here on earth possible.
- Lord it was interesting watching that film Contact again last night where the guys says our souls yearn for something beyond what the physical can provide and that makes me think of that verse where You said You have placed eternity in the hearts of men, but men cannot fathom it. (Ecc 3:11)
- Back to what we have learned today submission is truly the key to growth.
- Lord I ask myself have I been growing spiritually this year?
- Am I a more effective disciple for you today than when I became a Christian, making disciples? Have I lost your dream of seeing everybody have a chance to choose you as their Saviour?
- In the movie Aladdin risked his life to attain the lamp that would bring him wealth. What am I spending my time on to attain riches, a comfortable life, power, fame or am I making every effort to enter through the narrow door to get to heaven and spend eternity with You? (Luk 13:24)
- Lord I ask myself do I have reverent fear of You like Jesus did? Jesus had loud cries and tears in his prayers that would save not just Him but us as well for eternity.
- Lord I pray that I will evaluate how I submit to the authorities and people in my life so that I can submit to You.
- I do know that a rebellious attitude wil not just effect me negatively here on earth but for eternity as well.
- My prayer is Lord that I will have a submissive heart!