What is the definition of a disciple ?
a. One who embraces and assists in spreading the teachings of another.
b. An active adherent, as of a movement or philosophy.
c. One of the original followers of Jesus.
So let us break down the definition:
a. If I embrace the teaching it surely changes my life. If I assist in spreading the teaching that means it is part of my life.
b. An active adherent means I follow diligently the teachings, not just say it but my life does not show it. Movement means I do not do it just as an individual but I am part of a group who does it actively.
c. Ok we cannot be one of the original followers of Jesus, but we can immitate their lifestyles. A follower means that what that person personified in their character, values & their purpose; you will impliment in your life.
Let’s have a look at the most famous scripture on being a disciple:
“Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. When they saw him, they worshipped him; but some doubted.Then Jesus came to them and said, ‘All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.’” – Matt. 28:16-20 NIVUK
What we can glean of this scripture:
– A disciple goes. Just like a fisherman goes out to fish for fish a disciple also have to go out to fish
– A disciple makes disciple. You are not by default a disciple, you have to be made into one by another disciple.
– A disciple makes disciples of all nations. All nations sounds like the United Nations, it encompass all races and ethnical backgrounds.
– A disciple baptizes disciples. So yes, it is not just the preacher who do the baptizing.
– A disciple teaches disciples to obey. That means that you have someone in your life that is more mature / committed than you who mentors you and keep you accountable. All great athletes had coaches that took them to a level which they would have never achieved if it wasn’t for their coach.
– When a disciple makes disciples, Jesus assures us that He is with us till the end of time.
Jesus commanded us to go and make disciples.
Does that mean that we have to go and make believers ? I dont think so.
– The Bible talks about being sanctified (which really means being set apart to live the life God envisioned for you fulfilling His purpose He planned for you) and not living a worldly life which amounts to nothing eternally.
– Question: Who are you following and what is the eternal consequences of that path ur following?
– A convert on the other hand believes all this but he does not live the life, believing he will go to heaven without loving God by obeying the truth.