Temptation is the desire to do something, especially something wrong or unwise.
0. Review of Yesterdays study:
– Hans what can you remember of yesterdays study?
- Francois I should be a gentle person to bring back someone who is caught in a sin.
- We should support each other to be our best for God.
- We must make sure our brothers is ok and confess their sin so that they will not get hard hearts.
- Daily encouragement is the key to identify and overcoming sin.
1. The Bible Scriptures:
– Let’s see what the Bible has to say about itself:
13 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.
- Francois it is common to man.
- God is faithful.
- He will not let me be tempted beyond what I can bear.
- God will provide a way out when I am tempted.
- Francois it is not something extraordinary.
- We all struggle with it.
- We do not need to feel alone.
- We are not being singled out because we are weak.
- There is nothing to be ashamed of.
- I think Francois normally the things that we are ashamed about is sexual sin.
- Also lying to people when we have sinned in a way that affects them or even lying to them.
- Maybe there is something about our past that we really feel bad about.
- When confessing your sin means that you might go to jail, even receive the death penalty.
Hans you can see from this passage that we are not alone in our battle against sin. If you really believe that God has victory over satan, you must not doubt the assurance of your victory over sin with God’s help.
“7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up”.
- If we submit ourselves before God Francois, He can work through us.
- If God fights for us when we resist the devil, the devil will flee from us.
- Francois we cannot expect God to do everything when we are not willing to stand up for our lives and are victims to sin.
- When we are double minded we want to stand with one foot in the world and the other in God’s kingdom.
- When we want to be in control we think we might outwit satan but he is stronger if we try to do it without God.
- I can only fight satan with spiritual weapons.
- The other day we looked at spiritual weaponry of God.
- The belt of truth, do I know the spiritual truths about God and His promises.
- Can I quote like Jesus scriptures to refute satans lies?
- To be able to do that I have to study the scriptures and memorize them. Do I memorize scripture every day? Get some flip cards.
- How close am I in talking to God?
- Do I pray every day and regularly during the day?
- I can confess my sin and get the guilt out of my heart from sin.
- I can humble myself before God by using my emotions to deeper connect with God.
How can you practically resist the devil when you face the temptation to…
- Speak the whole truth so satan can’t make you feel guilty you haven’t shared everything.
- Talk about why you are embarresed about your sin. How does your sin make you feel?
- The Bible talk about things that cause you to sin.
- Do I eliminate the causes or do I try to eliminate the fruit.
- Do I watch R-rated movies and then not expect to struggle?
- Forward scenes in movies and do not have a second look.
- Know if that is my weakness and be humble about it and ask advice.
- Francois the only way I would feel resentment is because I have something to hide.
- Or I know it is true and I do not want to change it.
- It is also pride because you really actually tried to hide it, but people saw what you were struggling with and now it is in the open.
- You feel embarrased about it and is not willing to face the humilitaion.
- When I want to selfish indulge I am not focussed on God.
- It means life revolve around me and I am not conscious that God is with me.
- It is also a sign that I am not close to God.
- Put others people’s needs above yourself.
- Put yourself in that perspons shoes and have some empathy.
- Try to imagine how you would feel if that would to happen to you.
- Think of ways that you would solve their problem.
- Francois I think what comes out of your mouth is what comes out of what you have been storing in your heart. (Luk 6:45)
- So the question is what do you spend your time on storing in your heart?
- Is it sin or righteousness?
- Normally when I am tempted to speak unwholesomely is when I am angry and my feeings are hurt.
- The question I should ask myself Francois is do I take things personally too much?
- Am I more concerned for the others persons well being who is making the statements or am I more focussed on myself?
- Jesus did not retaliate when he was accused, He made no threats.
- I think the key was that he intrusted Himself to Him who judges justly which is God the Father. (1 Peter 2:22-24)
- Most of the time other peoples opinion is biast and selfish, if it was spiritual it would be upbuilding and encouraging. Like the Bible say encourage one another daily. (Heb 3:12-14)
– Hans it is amaizing how God fight our battles with us when we decide to put Him first. When we use our spiritual weapons we are able to resist the devil.
- Yes Francois that really gives me hope to live the life of an disciple with God as my saviour spiritually and physically.
- Will do Francois.
- Morning Father.
- Thank you that throught Jesus we can fight the good fight against satan and sin that war against our souls.
- God thank you that You will not let us be tempted beyond what we can bear.
- Not just that Lord we have no excuse to sin because you provide a way out for us to stand up under it.
- Father I pray that we will have the strength to endure temptation so we may honor and glorify your name.
- God I know that my biggest challenge to myself is to submit myself to you and not act in a self sufficient prideful way.
- It is when I use my spiritual armour that I wil be able to make my stand against the devil.
- I pray that my humility will lead to me being lifted up.
– So Hans I think we have covered quite a few practical here in our last question.
- I think so true Francois.
- I think the end result in my life if I apply these scriptures is that I will be able to stand and not give in to sin.
- If I do find myself in sin I do need to submit myself to God.
- The question I need to ask myself am I running away from sin or to it?
- Only when I am near to God, He will be near to me.
- When I am double minded I will be in out of sin regularly.
- Am I lifted up by God or going down the sin spiral that pulls my life down?