“Without labor nothing prospers” – Sophocles
The movie – The Persuit of Happyness
Quotes from the movie:
“I met my father for the first time when I was twenty eight. When I have children, my children will have known who their father was”
“I need the rent. I can’t wait any more. I need you out of here in the morning”
“Did mom leave because of me”
“Dad, where are we going? I don’t know.”
“Don’t let somebody tell you, you can’t do something.
“You got a dream, you got to protect it”
“People can’t do something themselves. They want to tell you, you can’t do it.
“If you want something, go get it. Period.”
What I learned from this movie is that if you want something, you have to work hard for it. There is no free lunches in the real world. We think it is different being a disciple. Being a disciple is hard work and you only going to enjoy it if you love it.
Let’s see what Paul has to say about what an effect grace should be.
Scripture for Today:
– Morning Hans. Hope you are well? The first question today is, in what sense can you say something similar to what Paul says in v.9?
- Morning Francois. Yes I am well.
- I am the least of the disciples and do not deserve to be called a disciple, because I persecuted Jesus by my sin.
– What do you think he means when he says “and his grace to me was not without effect“?
- Francois I think that if you truly understand grace, you will be very grateful for what Jesus did for you.
– How can you respond so that God’s grace will not be without effect?
- Grateful people work hard to show that they are grateful for the free gift.
– Why do you think Paul adds that last comment in v.10 – “Yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me“?
- Paul confirms that he is not able to do what he does without the Holy Spirit living in him.
- Also Jesus was with him: “And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age” – Mat 28:20
“The more thankful I became, the more my bounty increased. That’s because – for sure – what you focus on expands. When you focus on the goodness in life, you create more of it” – Oprah Winfrey
End this study with time to thank God and praise him for his marvelous grace.
Look at your lostness without him and his great mercy that you in no way deserved.
Make sure there is no self-righteousness or arrogance in your heart but that you truly believe “by the grace of God I am what I am”.
Remember and write down where you were headed and what would have happened if you had not become a disciple.
Share this with someone you want to be saved.
Be a grateful Christian.
Hans I will close us out with a prayer today.
- Afternoon Lord.
- Thanks so much for this great day.
- We will move from level 4 to level 3 corona virus on Monday.
- Thanks you Lord that I can now go back to work.
- Like the scripture says, he who does not work shall not eat.
- Lord todays lesson was really convicting!
- Life is tough out there God, looking at the movie.
- Chris Gardener has an amaizing character to fight and not feel sorry for himself and his son.
- So Lord if I understand Biblical grace, I will work harder not less.
- It will show just how thankful I am of what you did for me.
- God we cannot do this ourselves, we have to depend on the Holy Spirit working through us.
- Lord help me just to be the best christian I can be and work hard for you.
Tomorrow we will be looking at: The Power of Dying