Power is the capacity or ability to direct or influence the behaviour of others or the course of events.
The Word of God is a manifestation of the mind and will of God.
0. Review of Yesterdays study:
– Hans what can you remember of yesterdays study?
- Francois the most devine thing man can do is to change and not feel sorry for himself to keep on digging himself into his sin hole, deeper and deeper.
- Wordly and Godly repentance is chasms apart.
- The one is like having a drinking party over and over and regretting it every time every morning.
- The other like a new adventure that starts after having a bad day that turns into something beautiful.
- Ignorance is not bliss but knowledge and action on that knowledge is responsible living. What do you think if you seem someone really act stupid, you look down on such a person don’t we. But we are that person when we try to live a blissful life.
- I think one of the biggest good qualities we have as humans is the will to better ouurselves. The more selfaware we become and feedback we receive allow us to become more effective responsible citizens.
- The steps in Godly sorrow is truly noble and noteworthy. It might take some effort and will to impliment but is it like working hard on a project and seeing the results of your hard work pay off.
- It would be good to review these steps for the following week.
1. The Bible Scriptures:
– Let’s see what the Bible has to say about itself:
9 How can a young person stay on the path of purity?
By living according to your word.
10 I seek you with all my heart;
do not let me stray from your commands.
11 I have hidden your word in my heart
that I might not sin against you.
Jesus Is Tested in the Wilderness
4 Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. 2 After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. 3 The tempter came to him and said, “If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.”
4 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’ ”
5 Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. 6 “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down. For it is written:
“‘He will command his angels concerning you,
and they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’ ”
7 Jesus answered him, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’ ”
8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9 “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.”
10 Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’”
11 Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him.
Dispute Over Whose Children Jesus’ Opponents Are
31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
33 They answered him, “We are Abraham’s descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?”
34 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin.
- Francois it helps us to stay on the path of purity.
- It keeps me from sin.
- It will bring to light satan basically ordering us to sin by leading us into temptation.
- Francois the Word of God needs to become our spiritual bread that we live on.
- It solidifies our identity in Christ and that He protects us.
- The Bible sets us free from sin so that we do not have to be slaves to it any more.
- If I love God Francois, I will seek God with all my heart by living according to God’s word.
- If I love God, I will love His words and treasure them in my heart which will help keep me from sinning against God.
- To have victory over sin I have to know how satan will try to attack me and quote scriptures to wield off his advances from him just like Jesus did.
- I can sincerely believe in Jesus and go to church but if I do not hold to Jesus’ teaching I am not really His disciple.
- Well Francois if I look back at “Treating Sin Serously” and the first scripture that comes to mind is: “I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God” – Gal 5:21. Which is a very stern warning that if I live according to these sins in Gal 5:19-20 I will not go to heaven.
- Another one is “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God” – Mat 5:8 . So Jesus said in order for you to see Him you need to have a pure heart before God.
- I must remember that sin is warring against my soul – 1 Peter 2:11.
- I must ask myself why would I want to keep on killing myself physically and spiritually with sin! The Bible discribes it as a dog going back to its vomit – Pr 26:11.
– Hans it is amazing how Jesus withstood satan and really set a good example for us.
- Francois yes when we have that godly attitude about sin it is truly victorious not just in our lives but the people who witness it.
– Hans I would like to close us out in prayer today?
- Thank You Francois.
- Morning Father, it is such a beautiful morning here in the bushveld on my uncle’s Piet’s game farm.
- It is good to see the family and listen to our childhood stories and the fun and naughty things we did.
- Father I do pray that I can memorize more scriptures that I can hide Your word in my heart to keep me from sinning.
- Seeing a zeebra outside on the other side of the fence just make me realize how increadible your creation is o Lord.
- I must say swatting 10 mosquitoes last night before going to bed, after they have eaten and woken up our unfortunate Amorie was not fun so I would not have made them God, but you in your wisdom know how they fit into your animal / bug kingdom.
- Must say catching the two spiders and throwing them out was also fun just to allow our daugther a good nights rest.
- I must say thinking about mosquitoes God, is like sin in our lives, they keep on biting us and bug us until we swot they and only a blood stain remains. That can literally give us peace in our lives.
- Father I know if I just go to church and read my Bible now and again I might be like those Jews who believed in Jesus, but wasn’t really His disciples. It will take me on a daily basis focussing on sharing my faith with my colleagues, friends, family and strangers to call them to live as disciples by studying the Bible with them.
– So Hans how can we use God’s word to fight against sin?
- Memorizing key scriptures that will help us fight against sin.
- Putting on the full armour of God every day. (Eph 6:10-18) The belt of truth, the breastplate of righteousness, feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace, take up the shield of faith, helmet of salvation, the sword of the Spirit and pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.
- When you do your Bible study you look at ways you can apply in your life, like one guys said the Bible is not for information but for transformation. How much have the Bible changed your life in the past day, week, month and year? Do you actually noterize and measure your change? That which get measured gets done!
- Do I have a good attitude towards God’s words? Is it my life? Do I live by it every day of is it a Sunday box I tick? If not what is your life currently that you have to denigh to put God first?