Two of the most powerful words;
for what you put after them shapes your reality – Bevan Lee
“Some dreams test us”, “Some stories connect us”, “Some moments change us”, “Some choices stay with us” – “Forever”
“You have to choose between life and fiction, but the thing don’t really touch” – Dennis Quaid – The Words movie (2012)
Hans many people nowadays live a fiction life instead of in reality.
The plot of this movie is where Rory (Bradley Cooper) wanted to be a writer, but the words just did not want to come. He finds an old manuscript in a tuck shop, he decides to publish it. The book, called “The Window Tears,” makes Rory famous, until the real author (Jeremy Irons) shows. Clayton Hammond (Dennis Quaid), novel “The Words” seems to copy Rory’s story, suggests Hammond’s autobiography. Cast Olivia Wilde, Zoë Saldana.
So why did I use this metaphor to talk about powerful words Hans?
Let’s see what God has to say about His words:
16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God[a] may be thoroughly equipped for every good work – 2 Tim 3:16-17
12 For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. 13 Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account – Her 4:12-13
– Hans what is the list of things that God’s Word can do for you?
- It is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.
- Francois it will thoroughly equip you for every good work.
- It will make you alive and active.
- It will cut the sin out of your life.
- Wow, it will judge the thoughts and attitudes of my heart. Phewww.
- I will have to give an account of things done in my life compared to the Bible. Mannn challenging!!!
Hans not only is it important to know what God’s Word is, but it is equally important to do what it says!!!
22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror 24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do – Jms 1:22-25
– What happens to the man who does what he has learned Hans?
- He does not deceive himself Francois.
- He is not forgetful and ignorant.
- The truth will set him free when he does what the Word says.
- Francois he will be blessed in what he does. Wowww!!!
Hans God cannot use us, if we do not do what he tells us.
– The person who doesn’t put God’s Word into practise will forget what he or she looks like, we would think someone like that is stupid hey?
- Jip, or someone “He’s not right in the head” like the crazy irishmen said in Braveheart.
– Hans why don’t you write down some things that you know are right and that you intend to put into practise today?
- Ok Francois, let me see.
- I think to have great Bible study daily no just reading; that is where God talks to me. God building a relationship with me.
- Then daily praying. Praying through a psalm you can always connect emotionally with God. Use a Prayer diary where I can see how God answers my prayers. Write a love letter to God daily. I can initiate to pray with my friends in my bible discussion group or people that I am studying the Bible with.
- Daily sharing my faith. I can call my friends and share with them that I have learned some great things in my bible study that I would like to share with them. I can do my bible study on a blog and share that with my friends. I can do a WhatsApp or Zoom bible study with my friends and hook up some other friends as well that wants to join in.
- I can be in contact daily with the person who helps me spiritually sharing how it is going with me, tough times I might be going through, ask for advice, ask for prayer requests, confess my sin, etc.
30 “As for you, son of man, your people are talking together about you by the walls and at the doors of the houses, saying to each other, ‘Come and hear the message that has come from the Lord.’ 31 My people come to you, as they usually do, and sit before you to hear your words, but they do not put them into practice. Their mouths speak of love, but their hearts are greedy for unjust gain. 32 Indeed, to them you are nothing more than one who sings love songs with a beautiful voice and plays an instrument well, for they hear your words but do not put them into practice. 33 “When all this comes true—and it surely will—then they will know that a prophet has been among them.” – Eze 33:30-33
So according to this verse you will not be able to understand the true meaning of God’s Word until you do what the Bible says.
- Yes Francois it is like that verse in James 2:14 says: “faith without deeds is dead”.
Great Hans, thanks for the study today. See you tomorrow. Can you just close us out in a prayer.
- Dear Lord. Thank you that your word is useful and thoroughly equips us for good work. Father following your words gives us freedom and blessings. Please help me to have great bible study, prayer, sharing my faith and fellowship. Lord I do not want to be like the guys who’s mouthes speak of love but their hearts are greedy for unjust gain. Amen.
Tomorrow we will be looking at: “Seems Right” or “Is Right”
Tomorrow we will look at: What “Seems Right” or “Is Rigth”