1. The Bible Scriptures:
– Let’s see what the Bible has to say about God’s will vs. our will John:
How you should not react when you are hurt by anybody in the church, especially your leader!!!
- Be a Troublemakers and Sow Discord. (Romans 16:17)
- Be Unruly and Disorderly. (1 Thessalonians 5:14)
- Disobey the great doctrines of the faith. (2 Thessalonians 3:13-14)
- Deny the great doctrines of the faith. (1 Timothy 6:3-4)
- Don’t feel like you can share if you are a young Christian thinking you know nothing, that is insecurity and sin and not confidence in God. We all will stand before God and give an account, even church leaders. (2 Cor 5:10) Church Leaders will be judged more strictly even by God. (Jms 3:1) Remember you also have the Holy Spirit in you and God might be revealing through you, things in the church.
- Have an attitude against your BT Leader, Regional Leader, etc.
- Feel sorry for yourself because nobody loves me and does not want to listen to me.
- Leave the church and start your own Bible Talk.
- Leave the church and go start your own church / Bible talk in another city.
15 “If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. 16 But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses. 17 If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector.
- Firstly Matthew talks about a brother or a sister, so this is not specific to an evangelist but the whole church.
- We know that if someone do stray that your Bibletalk leader would be the first one to pick it up.
- As a church the evangelist would confer with the Bibletalk leader to help the brother or sister.
- So the first step is a one on one discussion. If they listen that is the best situation, but if they do not you go to step two.
- Step two is to two / three to one discussion. The other brothers / sisters you take along is there to be witness. Now if the person refuse to listen you go to step 3.
- Step three is you make it public to the church. If they still refuse to listen you go to step 4.
- Step four is you disfellowshipped which is the last resort.
- There is also a restoration step which we will discuss in another scripture.
- Remember the Leaders also will have to give an account to God.
- Remember that they also have to repent of sin daily.
- If you have a certain conviction about something that you do do or don’t do in your church. Study out the subject thoroughly. I once was wondering about the kingdom of God and Heaven and I wrote all the verses out according to the concordance. Read also commentaries about the subject and scriptures. Type it out in a Word document and first send it to your Bibletalk leader. Set up a meeting and have a nice dicusssion asking questions to understand. See if there is holes in your conviction and go study it out further. Ask your BT leader is there is any other material you can study out to help you understand the subject of discussion. Things should be sorted out most of the time at this level.
- Remember Jethro who spoke to Moses that was wearing himself out, Moses, God chosen man of God had to listen to his father in law!!! “24 Moses listened to his father-in-law and did everything he said. “25 He chose capable men from all Israel and made them leaders of the people, officials over thousands, hundreds, fifties and tens. 26 They served as judges for the people at all times. The difficult cases they brought to Moses, but the simple ones they decided themselves.” (Ex 18:24-26) So if I understand this correctly the leader of 10 reports to the leader of 50 and the leader of 50 reports to the leader of 100 and so on. Same like in the army. You see the difficult cases must be escalated up the ranks.
- After you had your discussions with your BIble Talk Leader and you still not happy go and talk to your Regional Church Leader and discuss it with him.
- If you have an disagreement with your leader after discussing the subject, discuss it with a fellow disciple who is also in your church and a leader. If he agrees with you set up a meeting with your leader and have a 3 way discussion about the subject.
- If scriptures has been shared and an explanation has been given and the brother you spoke to in the church still disagree with your leader just escalate it to the next leader above your leader for discussion, informing your leader that you need just more clarification.
- If at any point you get stuck please contact me. I will try to help you get help / clarity.
14 For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.
- Forgiveness is a salvation issue.
- Forgive people = Forgiven by God = Go to Heaven.
- Not Forgive people = Not Forgiven by God = Got to Hell.
23 “Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you,24 leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift.
- We must be sensitive the way we deal with our brothers & sisters.
- The way we treat people affects our devotion to God.
- In a sense we must be aware if we might have hurt our brother, the easiest way to pick that up is that person normally avoids you in the fellowship.
- The responsibility lies with the offending party to reconcile, not with the offended.
- If I offend people I must have a good look at if I’m loving, kind and patient with people.
- It seems that unity come first before offering your gifts.
- Do you make sure you are unified with your brother before you go to church?
- Remember God knows our hearts, everything is laid bare before His eyes. (Heb 4:13)
13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.
- We are different people if you want to accept it or not.
- We are going to hurt each other, not if but when.
- Sometimes we don’t care that much if we offend or hurt people; we normally say it is their problem.
- But boy if someone hurts your wife or children you want to go and sort them out!!!
- So we should be patient with people like God is; in wanting everybody to come to the knowledge of the truth and be saved. (2 Pet 3:9)
- It is one thing to forgive someone; but to forgive the grievance is another thing.
- I would confess that grievance to the person and tell them in person because many a time it gives them the opportunity to apologise to you; by them hurting you.
So in summary what did we learn?
- Most of our questions we have about God and the Bible is due to our ignorance and lack of discipline in studying the Bible and asking advice.
- If you are genuinely concerned about the topic you will study it out in the Bible not just read about it.
- “Those who know your name trust in you,
for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you.” – Ps 9:10
- So if we seek God and want to find and love the truth plus ask advice we will find what God wants us to know.
- Morning Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit.
- Lord I am thinking of that song: “Oh Lord it is hard to humbleeee”
- I think that is where it starts to overcome my ignorance; I have to study Your word.
- Lord lazyness will keep me out of heaven, not studying your word and having a noble character.
- Father help me to be open with brothers who hurt me and forgive them and move on.
- Yes those hurts will make a scab, but I should not be like our lovebird that needs a collar; keeping him from pulling off his scabs and the wound being open afresh.
- I do think God that if things keep coming up in my heart that I haven’t forgiven the brother/sister and need to go and be reconciled. Lord I do need to have a clear conscience about that.
- Father it is like you said: “Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.” – Heb 12:14