Surrender is the action of submitting to an opponent or powerful influence. Also to submit is to accept or yield to a superior force or to the authority or will of another person.
0. Review of Yesterdays study:
- Not even Solomon the riches man could not dress like God dresses the flowers of the field. So if you want to to be really entertained by God and His beauty go to those lonely places.
- Have you ever asked yourself how does spending time in nature makes you feel Francois? Refleshed, special, those sunsets and sunrises? Isn’t that how God would like you to feel when you spend time with Him?
- The Bible says Jesus was praying in a certain place, so I think Jesus had special places. Do you have special places you pray?
- Solitary places helped Him to focus and not be distracted.
- So His prayers led to Him becoming the source of eternal salvation.
- Prayer was the key for Him to become our salvation.
1. The Bible Scriptures:
There are certain things necessary for effective, joyful prayer.
– Let’s see what the Bible has to say about surrender Hans:
36 Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, “Sit here while I go over there and pray.” 37 He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled. 38 Then he said to them, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me.”
39 Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.”
40 Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. “Couldn’t you men keep watch with me for one hour?” he asked Peter. 41 “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”
42 He went away a second time and prayed, “My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.”
43 When he came back, he again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy. 44 So he left them and went away once more and prayed the third time, saying the same thing.
14 This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. 15 And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.
- To pray according to God’s will.
- If I am to pray according to God’s will, I need to find out what God’s will for me is.
- That will help me to focus my life and expectations to be in essence spiritually successful, because God is the pivotpoint that will determine that.
- If I do not pray according to God’s will I will create unrealistic expectations which God will not answer and I will get frustrated with God. I most probably will fall away from God, because He is not answering my prayers.
- My unrealistic prayers might actually be very selfish in essence because it most definately is not according to God’s will.
- I make myselves out to be God.
- We create and idol called God that must jump to our requests.
- That is call pride and God hates pride.
7 During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission.
- Jesus was heard because of His reverent submission.
- Not just submission, but reverent submission.
- Reverent means feeling or showing deep and solemn respect.
- Unsubmissive prayers are selfish Francois.
- When they are more like demands than requests.
- A synonym: rebellious. That means you want your will and not God’s.
– Hans after this study I hope you will know how to reverently submit to God.
- Yes Francois that is so important for our prayer to be answered by God.
- Morning Father.
- From today Lord I surrender my will to You and Your will.
- I commit all of me to all of you.
- My future, present I give to you to direct as well as surrender my past to you.
- My life is a blank page before You to direct.
- Not only does my dreams belong to You, but my hopes, relationships, interests and talents.
- I surrender my family to you, my wife, kid, people I reach out to, my health, my finances, my material things and how I spend my time.
- Father I pray that I will submit to Your will not mine.
- Do what you want and not what I want.
- Doing Your Way and not mine that might feel more right.
- To do what I might hold hear and love what You hold dear.
- Be like the seed that dies and bring forth a harvest.
- Let go of what I think might be good and live for what is Your best.
- Decide to deny myself to escape out of my prison of self to enjoy your freedom from sin.
– So Hans what are some practicals to submit to Jesus.
- Francois to be comitted to repent of my sin on a daily basis!
- If I am sentimental about my sin I will not be able to change and be blessed.
- I need to pray often about my decision to surrender.
- Something that will stop me Francois is praying to overcome my fear of surrender.
- If I do not pray urgently for my need to surrender it will not work.
- Surrender in one area is not enough, we have to surrender our whole lives so we need to be thorough.
- Pray to find the right partner / mentor that would help me through the process.
- I need to follow the example of Jesus to pray through my emotions to surrender to God’s will, also take my friends with me on my prayer.
- Jesus prayed until he’s surrender was complete and He was fired up to do God’s will.