Some quotes from the trailer adjusted a bit:
- Are you willing to do anything that God / the world wants from you?
- You have today and today only to show God or the world; who and what you are made of.
- What will you do for / against God in the next 24 hours?
- What is your wrong / right vs God’s?
- What did you sign up for when you became / want to become a disciple of Jesus?
Not that I am promoting or in agreement with the movie, but they ask good questions in the trailer.
“Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives’ tales; rather, train yourself to be godly.”1 Timothy 4:7 NIV
Why do I want to train ?
– To be healthy and fit
– To get out of the house a bit in the morning / afternoon
– Fellowship, it is great fun hanging out doing sports
– Gives you time to think and contemplate life and solutions to it
– Great way to meet new people
Isn’t it the same with Spiritual growth ?
Who’s responsibility is it to train you?
My evangelist, discipling partner, my wive / husband, my parents, etc.
No it’s yours. So I cannot blame anyone for my spiritual condition that I’m in. Just do it !!! It does not help feeling sorry for yourself or your past. Like the one guys says:
– Keeps you close to God
– Keeps you happy
– Helps you to deal with life
– Helps you grow / maintain your relationships
– God expects me to become a mature man / women of God. If your baby is not growing, it is sick.
– Ensures that you go to heaven
Excert about what Rick Warren says:
“Healthy, lasting personal growth is multidimensional. I’ve written extensively on the fact that your spiritual health has five facets:
Every person needs to grow …
– warmer through fellowship.
– deeper through discipleship.
– stronger through worship.
– broader through ministry.
– larger through evangelism.
These five purposes of a person are commanded by Jesus in the Great Commandment and the Great Commission, explained by Paul in Ephesians 4, described in Jesus’ prayer for the church in John 17 and modeled by the first church in Jerusalem.
In Acts 2:42-47 these five facets of health are mentioned: They fellowshipped, edified each other, worshipped, ministered and evangelized. As a result, verse 47 says, “the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.””
So, if we have healthy personal growth of a group, the Lord will add.
The four levels of consciousness apply:
1. Unconscious Incompetent- You don’t know that you don’t know. Ignorant. If you stay in this state you are prideful and arrogant.
2. Conscious Incompetent- Know that you don’t know
3. Conscious Competent- Knows how to do things
4. Unconscious Competent- Do things unconsciously. Like driving, you don’t think about it, doing it.
The first step to being healthy/ balanced is self awareness, to get to level 2 of consciousness. Where am I at ?
Soooo, how is my worship, fellowship, discipleship, ministry & evangelism ?
Rick Warren describes it detail in Purpose Driven life, although I do not agree with some of his points on salvation.
1. We were planned for God’s pleasure. So your first purpose is to offer real worship.
- Are you enjoying God?
- What is your conversation with God like? Reading the Bible – God talks to you, praying – you talk to God.
- How is your singing in ur quiet time ? Or is it a riot time ?
- Do you do special things with God ? Go out in nature; the beach, a mountain, a walk in the woods, etc.
- What are you praising God for in your prayers ? Study out God’s names and their meanings.
- What are you thankful for ? A brother Henry Kriete gave me advice to write down a 100 things that I am thankful for. At first it was hard but then I got the hang of it.
- How do I bring pleasure to God? That is a great study in itself.
- What other spiritual books am I reading?
- Share what I am learning from God.
2. We were formed for God’s family. So your second purpose is to enjoy real fellowship.
- Are you best pals with people in God’s kingdom or the world. A question you need to ask yourself, in which direction do I want to move spiritually? Spend time with Worldly people = Becomes more Worldly & Godly People = Become Godly.
- They say who you will be in 5 years, is the books you read and the people you spend time with. What books are you reading and what people do you spend ur free time with?
- Are you going after fellowship? Dinners, fun times, road trips, vacations, etc.
- Who is your best friends? They will determine if you go to heaven !!!
3. We were created to become like Christ. So your third purpose is to learn real discipleship.
- Who is your hero? Jesus? Are you following Him?
- Do you know Him or are in the process of getting to know Him better?
- What is your righteousness like?
- Am I asking advice from more mature disciples?
- Do I go after discipling times?
4. We were shaped for serving God. So your fourth purpose is to practice real ministry.
- What am I contributing ?
- How can I serve? Leadership, encouragement, contributing, singing, setting things up, etc.
- What is my talents I can use for God?
5. We were made for a mission. So your fifth purpose is to live out real evangelism.
- What is your mission? Is it the same as God’s?
- Will your mission take you to heaven, is it an eternal one?
- What is your story like walking with God?
- Are you a world class christian?
- Is your life balanced?
- Do I share my faith? How often? Is it your lifestyle?
- What plans do I have in building God’s kingdom?
Summary of Purpose Driven Life book – http://bit.ly/2dQodsW
To sum up:
What am I doing to train myself ?
– What am I doing?
– What can I do ?
– What am I implementing ?
“For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.” – 1 Timothy 4:8 NIV
“That is why we labor and strive, because we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all people, and especially of those who believe.” – 1 Timothy 4:10 NIV
Sooo, how serious are you about this training thing?
“Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.” – 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 NIV
Will your running currently get the prize?
Is your training strict?
Is your running aimful?
Are you your body’s slave or are your body your slave?
You decide today what race you are going to run.
Like Nike says: “Just do it !!!!”