“Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.” – 2 Corinthians 12:8-9 NIV
Is God’s grace sufficient for me ?
We all hate our weaknesses and difficult situations; because we don’t feel in control. The movies make those happy ever after moments so tantilising that we fall for them ever time and then end up disappointed in our REAL life.
What if God’s power was made perfect in our strength ? We would think it is us that accomplished it! That would lead to pride, that would lead to being seperated from God. That is not what God intended from the start.
Soooo, we need to chance our perception about our weaknesses? Truly a mindshift or the word repent (metanoia) comes to mind.
So will pleading to God help in your weak situation?
Probably not, it did not work for Paul. But where was Paul’s focus; on God or on the problem? On God and in that way he saw God’s power displayed.
We might ask ourselves why does God operate in the way?
It is about His glory not ours!!!
Whoever serves, [let him do it] as one who serves by the strength which God supplies – in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen. (l Peter 4:11)
What happens to us when we do not give God the glory ?
They became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images. (Romans 1:22, 23)
Immediately an angel of the Lord struck him (Herod) down, because he did not give God the glory. (Acts 12:23)
They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might, when he comes on that day to be glorified in his saints, and to be marveled at among all who have believed. (2 Thessalonians 1:9-10)
Firstly you are a fool. Secondly you might be struck dead by an angel from the Lord and thirdly you will suffer eternal seperation from God. Wow!!! Convicted yet?
(Some great verses about giving God the Glory – http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/biblical-texts-to-show-gods-zeal-for-his-own-glory)
So how do we give God the glory?
By boasting about our weaknesses.
What makes you feel embarrased ?
- When I do stupid things in front of people.
- Especially when I sin and I know it is wrong.
- When I am proven wrong in front of people.
- When I am ashamed of something.
- Illness and feeling weak.
- To admit you need help or to ask for it.
- You do not know what to say or do; sitting in silence.
- About stupid things I did in the past.
- The fear that people will treat me differently after I have confessed.
- When I make a mistake.
How can I boast in my weaknesses?
- Identify ur weaknesses. Become aware of them. Admit that you have them.
- Ask people what they think is ur weakness. Tough one!
- Just blurt it out to the right people; who you know will have mercy and not gossip.
- Tell it as stories and share what God has taught you through it.
- “Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.” – James 5:16 NIV
- “When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. For day and night your hand was heavy on me; my strength was sapped as in the heat of summer. Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord.” And you forgave the guilt of my sin.” – Psalm 32:3-5 NIV