Non Submission is called Rebellion that might lead to a better future leaders might cause initial fear and discomfort, but they create a sense of excitement and a vision that people can get behind. Employees who rebel create the friction required to test new ideas and alternative ways of doing things that lead to better solutions.
0. Review of Yesterdays study:
– Hans what can you remember of yesterdays study?
- It was quite insightful Francois to see which room in my house is burning and needs attention.
- The key is to submit to God and then the rest fall into place.
- I ask myself; how much advice have I been asking since the study? Still not convinced that many advisers make victory sure? (Pr 11:14) If that is the caseI know that I am not growing.
- I am studying out to be a great follower Francois, so hopefully I will be a great leader some day.
1. The Bible Scriptures:
– Let’s see what the Bible has to say about not submitting to ungodly leaders Hans.
– As we look at submission we must recognize that there will be times when we cannot specifically submit to people in what they are asking us because to do so would be to be unsubmissive to God. Therefore, there are times when a Christian cannot submit.
18 Then they called them in again and commanded them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus. 19 But Peter and John replied, “Which is right in God’s eyes: to listen to you, or to him? You be the judges! 20 As for us, we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard.”
27 The apostles were brought in and made to appear before the Sanhedrin to be questioned by the high priest. 28 “We gave you strict orders not to teach in this name,” he said. “Yet you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and are determined to make us guilty of this man’s blood.”
29 Peter and the other apostles replied: “We must obey God rather than human beings! 30 The God of our ancestors raised Jesus from the dead—whom you killed by hanging him on a cross.
– Hans why did the early Christians not submit to the government in this instance?
- Francois the government did not want them to speak or teach in the name of Jesus.
- They felt they rather need to obey God first before they obey them.
- They were so filled with thankfulness; that they could not help but speak about what they have seen and heard.
- They had to call the religeous leaders of the day to repentance by helping them understand that they killed Jesus, the Son of God.
– Before we refuse to be submissive in any situation Hans there are three important questions we need to ask ourselves:
– a) Hans, do I really want to be submissive to and have a submissive attitude or am I looking for an excuse to be independent and rebellious?
- Francois I think I must ask myself do I have any attitudes towards authority figures?
- If I’m a very individualistic character, chances are good that it is in my nature to rebel. Then you need to be very careful.
- I must ask myself what do I want to be rebellious about? Have I studied it out in the Bible?
- Have I asked advice on what I want to be rebellious about?
– b) Is this really a violation of God’s will Hans or a violation of my strongly held tastes and preferences?
- I need to compare my convictions Francois with what is written about that subject in the Bible.
- Francois I need to ask myself how emotional do I feel about the subject? Sometimes our emotions trump our righteous behaviour.
- When I sometimes fight with my wife I might say something that I regret, which might be something like a character assassination, just to win the argument.
– c) Am I not wanting to submit because of the principle involved or some person involved?
- We should never decide not to submit to someone just because we have a negative personal feeling towards them Francois.
- Many a time the non righteous, non submission begin with your feelings being hurt by a particular person or say a political parties bad management of a country.
- If you feel the person does not care about me (not listening to what I am saying), I am naturally inclined not to love them back and listen to them any more.
– How could you refuse Hans to submit to some particular thing, but still maintain a submissive attitude towards the person?
Francois I think you need to state the issue you are not in agreement with them and explain why.
You can ask their advice about it what their opinion is.
- You can ask the person to study it out in the Bible to get your own convictions about it.
- You can submit to that person untill such time you have your own conviction.
– Example: A Christian wife is asked by her non-Christian husband to lie for him to a business partner. How can she refuse that but still maintain a submissive attitude toward her husband?
- She can kindly inform her husband she does not want to lie and ask him how he would feel if she lied to him.
- She can just state to his business partner that she is not familiar with the business or the issue.
- She can tell the business partner it has nothing to do with her and he must sort it out with her husband.
- She can tell him that her husband make such and such decisions in their marriage.
– Hans it it a bit conflicting that we had this study and why we should submit to authorities, leaders, each other, etc. But this study turn over the apple cart and I can see why.
- Francois true true. If it comes to God and what is important to Him we must first submit to God then to people. I am thinking that how we sometimes in a reverse submit to people when we should submit to God say by being ashamed to speak up for God or share our faith and our fear intimidates us not to be bold.
– Hans can you close us out in a prayer today.
- Certainly Francois.
- Morning Father.
- Wow this is a really challenging study.
- To see how bold the apostles was in challenging the government of the day to repent. Phewww.
- The more amazing thing God is that it was a heart issue for them, they said they “could not help but speak”.
- On the other side they could have felt dutyful etc.
- Father you can see clearly that their love for You was greater than pleasing people who was not obedient to you.
- Father I love you and I want you always to be my first love.
- Please give me the boldness and strength to always stand up for you not just when people say bad things about you but to be proactive in sharing my faith so that people can become disciples.
– So Hans how can I make sure we do not submit to ungodly leaders?
- Francois I know I have to be close to God because otherwise, if I am not; I will not pick it up.
- Identify the people, situation and things in your life that do not want you or allow you to love God with all of your heart. You might just find that they are the “idols” in your life.
- I would say evaluate the emotions of your heart because they are the fruits of what goes on in your heart ito what attitudes you might have towards people.