Encourage means to give support, confidence, or hope to (someone).
Or to persuade (someone) to do or continue to do something by giving support and advice.
Or to stimulate the development of (an activity, state, or belief).
When I think of friendship it really just means someone who will love you through warts and all.
Also someone who you can just be yourself without pretention.
Someone who can be crazy with you while having fun.
You can laugh with them untill your stomach hurts.
But the real friend will see past all these outer masks and find out how it is going with your relationship with God and encourage you to stay close to Him by obeying His word.
1. The Bible Scriptures:
11 Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. – 1 Thes 5:11
- I love this verse John!!!
- Encouragement is all about love and building each other up; it is love put into action.
- You encourage the people you love the most, isn’t it?
- If I did not receive encouragement in my life, I would most probably have killed myself long ago.
- That is why people commit suicide, they loose all hope due to lack of encouragement.
- One of my friends Mark committed suicide due to the fact he could not get a job and he’s pension was running out.
- What does encourage mean to you? It means you give someone courage.
- Don’t we all need courage to face the world today John? Yes we do!
- John how do you build other people up? By calling each other higher and giving hope of a better future and eternity!
- A scary question to me is; do I know how my friends are doing spiritually?
- I think sometimes we are too scared to ask that question!
- Although John it is most probably the most important question you can ask your friend if you really care about them for eternity.
- They question John is; do you have the heart to do it for your friends, family and people who does not know God or have strayed from God?
- I do pray John that you will have the heart to love God first and people that same way you love God.
– John I think of the people that has been the longest friends in my life. Nicky Sothmann, El-Ruaan van Zyl and Raymond Smith. Nicky, I met going to the “Voortrekkers” together, which is like the scouts. Being part of the Voortrekkers comes from a way of life which came about when the British envading the Cape colony and enslaved the people to their benefit. The “Boers” as they were known believed in democracy and therefore trekked away with their ox wagons to find new land, pretty much the rest of South Africa. Most probably very similar to Americans history of people trekking west. With it came danger because there was other people living in the land and just nature itself like lions, elephants, rhino’s, etc. So most probably like a nature roadtrip with adventure at it’s heart.
Looking at the Voortrekkers web page they teach you things like, how to become part of a team. How to develop your leadership capabilities. How to discover yourself ito knowing what you are capable of. Discovering nature through hikes, camps, raft expedition, hiking at night with a compast, etc.
So how did I get to be such good friends with Nicky is we spend time together doing life. By having fun and learning new things bonded us as friends.
- Francois yes I think my experience was similar to yours getting to know my spiritual friends.
- I was always looking to have a better relationship with God.
- One day when I was at varsity one guy stood up in front of the class and invited the whole class to a Bible Discussion.
- I was really intrigued by it and seeing that I wrote down my 10 goals of which one was to grow closer to God I think that got my attention.
- I went to the Bible discussion and really loved it, because we looked at how we can make the Bible practical. It does not really matter what I believe untill I put it into practise, a dream only stays a dream until you put it into practise hey.
- I then became friends with an awesome group of friends who loved God with their whole hearts.
I am to the left and Nicky to the right. Most probably taken at 12 o'clock with us staring in the sun. (smile) Grade 2
I am to the top left, Raymond top right and El-Ruaan bottom. Grade 2
- I am priveledged to do so, Francois.
- Good morning Father.
- Encouraging people definately takes work and forethought.
- Help me to love people they way You do!
- I do understand that loving people in a spiritual way means it is for eternity because hopefully you will meet them in heaven.
- Help me God to ask those tough questions which is really love.
- If you would like to study the Bible and learn more, get a mentor, please feel free to contact me by whatsapp me +27 79 481 8989. Join our find your greatness meetup group. https://www.meetup.com/find-your-greatness/