Must say this is one of my most favourite movies of all time, the other one would be Groundhog Day.
Maximus has this quote that rings true for me in my life: “Brothers. What you do in life, echoes in eternity”.
The question is what echoes in eternity because of my life?
A similar line in the Bible says the same for me:
What empire / kingdom are you building ?
Then Jesus came to them (the eleven disciples) and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” (Matthew 28:18-20 NIV)
It is a natural reaction of any kid to tell others about their happiness in life. Isn’t it true that suffering and poverty awakens compassion in our hearts ?
Why would it be different then that as a disciple (follower) of Jesus, that we don’t tell people about our happiness in Jesus ?
Why should it be unnatural to give to people that suffer and need our help ?
Christ calls us to go and make disciples not just believers with His authority.
Who do we baptize, who is the them that Jesus refers to ? It is the person who was made a disciple.
Why would Jesus then say, “Teach them to obey everything, that I (He has) commanded them” ?
So what is our (those of us who call ourselves disciples of Jesus or christians) job according to Jesus:
1. Go make disciples.
- How is it going with that?
- Anybody you are building friendship with ?
- How about asking those people if you can share some great things with them that you have learned from God (remember; what makes you happy about having a relationship with God) ?
2. Baptize them.
- Why would you do that ?
- Why not study out the word baptism (using a concordance) in the bible ?
- If it was important to Jesus our Lord it should be important to us.
3. Teach them (definition)
- To impart knowledge or skill to: teaches children.
- To provide knowledge of; instruct in.
- To condition to a certain action or frame of mind: teaching youngsters to be self-reliant.
- To cause to learn by example or experience: an accident that taught me a valuable lesson.
- To advocate or preach: teaches racial and religious tolerance.
- To carry on instruction on a regular basis in: taught high school for many years.
- Are we teaching people to obey? It is a command of God.
4. To obey (definition)
- To carry out or fulfill the command, order, or instruction of.
- To carry out or comply with (a command, for example).
- The meaning of that; you tell them what they should be doing(according to Jesus), and then you show them how it is to be done by example.
- Who are you showing the way to Jesus through your life and your involvement with them?
I think the reason Jesus said that is what is written in John.
So Jesus equates love for Him = Obedience. It does make sense to me to do what Jesus says; then I will be with Him for eternity (based on His rules). If i follow my plan or someone else’s opinion I might not get there, scary thought.
So in conclusion:
- Do you love Jesus ? You will obey.
- What on earth are YOU here for ?
- Is your purpose here on earth to be a disciple?
Morning Father. That phrase “What you do in life, echoes in eternity” always convicts me to ask myself, do I have eternal impact with what I am currently doing? Lord is being a disciple my purpose that I live for each day or is it just a pie that fits into my pie chart? Do I Iove You with all my heart? Does it show in my actions? Like the Calvin & Hobbes cartoon where Hobbes say “I think our actions shows what is in our hearts”. Lord I do love you with all my heart! I pray that I will resolve to love you with all my heart every day. Lord my dad always used to say to me, “If you measure it, you will know”. Lord if I track my progress it means it is important to me and I actually want to achieve something. I pray that today I will honour you with my day. The question begs, what do I want to achieve today? Amen